Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
Options
Go to last post
Posted on Tue, Nov 25 2008 21:52
by Marzipan
Joined on Thu, Jun 02 2005, UK, Posts 14

Sorry if this has been covered, but I'm having trouble finding clear information on the net about this... I'm not interested in using the Vienna Instruments, as I'm not doing as much orchestral sampling any more and the Pro Edition/Performance set is fine for my purposes. I was going to carry on using Gigastudio, but got annoyed with it after Tascam took days to respond to my registration e-mail when I had to reinstall, and then said that my registration code was apparently invalid. Also I want to try and use Kontakt on my mac (within Pro Tools), as well as on my old Giga machine, so combining the 2 I can load more samples.

I saw a post on the Northernsounds forum from 2005 saying that somebody had converted VSL Pro Edition to Kontakt 2. It wasn't clear if this included the performance set, and how the legato and other performance patches worked. Can anybody clear this up for me? Also I assume the convert from Giga feature is still available in Kontakt 3, and would work just as easily? I know it would take a long time, but once it's done it should be fine, right?

I'd be really interested to get some more information on this, as I'm not able to purchase Kontakt 3 until I'm sure it will work. Also I understand there are Kontakt scripts for VSL legatos available, although I believe this is NOT from VSL themselves. 

Any information which would help me get up and running again would be much appreciated, including potential technical issues I might encounter on the way. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Thu, Nov 27 2008 08:32
by cm
Joined on Fri, Dec 20 2002, vienna, Posts 9044

basically it would be possible to convert the ProEdition to the Kontakt format, but i'd assume you would have a hard time bringing the performance elements *to life* with scripted programs.

i remember to have also read someone managed to create such programs but i'm no longer aware of the link and don't know how good (= working as intended) those might be

creating kontakt 2 files for opus or solo strings (performance elements) from the horizon series was a tremendously tiring and timeconsuming job, so unless you only need the single note instruments or have really much knowledge with scripting/mapping in Kontakt you should consider not to start such a task ...

my2c, christian

and remember: a CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just four hours ...
Posted on Sat, Nov 29 2008 12:18
by hbuus
Joined on Thu, Oct 26 2006, Posts 74

There are some Kontakt-scripts which you can use, but I am not sure how well it works with VSL samples.

Like Christian, I also think you are in for a lot of work, if indeed it is possible for ordinary human beings (!) to convert it at all.

Anyway, here is a link for you:

http://vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3545

I hope you end up with something that you will be happy using. 

Best regards,

Henrik

Posted on Tue, Dec 02 2008 18:15
by Marzipan
Joined on Thu, Jun 02 2005, UK, Posts 14

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated! Sounds like it might be a headache!!

It makes sense what you're saying, but I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that the scripts worked well for legatos etc. But I can't find the link... I think it might've been Northern Sounds, so I may try putting a fresh post up there as well just in case. I was under the impression the rules were fairly straightforward and could be easily "faked" without needing the performance tool, whether using iMIDI on Gigastudio or the Kontakt scripts. However I haven't tried either of these, and it's now looking more complicated than I first thought, hmmm...

I think I will do a little more research, including attempt to convert a small portion of the performance set as a test, and if it looks impossible then just carry on using Gigastudio and hope Tascam will sort out my Giga registration and/or I never have to reinstall the PC again and install Gigastudio afresh! 

If I am going to do that I'm wondering if anybody has managed to get Gigastudio 4 working in 64 bit, and so can load masses of samples... No clear info on this on the net either (although it appears some people ARE using GS4). Anyway this is off topic so I'll post again in the Giga area about this as a fresh topic...

Posted on Tue, Dec 02 2008 18:41
by cm
Joined on Fri, Dec 20 2002, vienna, Posts 9044

try to PM synthetic - he has been most helpful in the past with giga .... IIRC the description how to create kontakt files has been posted at vi-control ....

and remember: a CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just four hours ...
Posted on Fri, Dec 19 2008 00:42
by julian
Joined on Fri, Jan 07 2005, UK, Posts 717

I used CDXtract to convert my Akai sample lbraries to EXS 24.

http://www.cdxtract.com/formats.php

It worked very well and it has source and destination formats that include Kontact and Giga. Not sure if it will work for you but it does have batch processing where you can getit to covert a complete volume.

Regards

Julian

Posted on Tue, Apr 07 2009 10:25
by christophertin
Joined on Fri, Sep 05 2003, Posts 44