Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
Vienna Choir - Wow !
Last post Tue, Jan 15 2013 by cgernaey, 10 replies.
Options
Go to last post
Posted on Fri, Dec 07 2012 01:30
by Vincent M
Joined on Sat, Jul 02 2011, Posts 205

I just bought this library...

It blends so well with the rest of the VSL Orchestra in Vienna Mir Pro!  Big Smile

Thank you VSL for your top-quality products,  continue your good work!  Party!!!

Posted on Fri, Dec 07 2012 06:40
by Casiquire
Joined on Sat, May 01 2010, Posts 325
Personally I don't own the library (yet?) but I have always loved the strange vintage-y sound it has. I really wonder about the environment and equipment used because it's a very unique sound you won't find in any other choir library. I'm glad to hear the choirs are worth the price!
Posted on Mon, Jan 14 2013 16:41
by mpower88
Joined on Thu, Aug 12 2004, Posts 727

VSL Choir is the biz.  I own also other choirs like Requiem for their phrases etc, but I find at the end of the day I gladly sacrifice phrases and go with the Vienna Choir, it's just the best there is *hands down*. If they would do phrases or some kind of word building thing.... that would be insane. I would pay $1000 for that "extended" library on top of the existing one.  Idea

XI Machines 2687W, 64Gb Ram, Win 7 SP1.
Angelbird SSD's. VIPro, VEPro/MIR,
Full Vienna Collection.
Steinberg UR22mkII USB
Posted on Mon, Jan 14 2013 18:47
by Vincent M
Joined on Sat, Jul 02 2011, Posts 205

A big + 1 mpower88  !!!!!

Imagine a wordbuilder-type by VSL!  If that thing would be the same quality as the rest of their products...  Imagine that thing...  Indifferent  Big Smile

Posted on Mon, Jan 14 2013 18:55
by mpower88

It would need a special label "Caution: This product may cause the users mind to explode"

Full Vienna Collection.
Steinberg UR22mkII USB
Posted on Tue, Jan 15 2013 15:44
by cgernaey
Joined on Mon, Apr 04 2005, Detroit-Michigan, Posts 1056

Do you happen to know if the download version female choir is from those samples?

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 128GB RAM, AMD 3970X 32-core
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme, Radeon RX 5500 XT
Studio One 4.6, Cubase 10.5, Nuendo 10
RME Multiface 2, All NVMe SSD Drives (OS & Samples)
Posted on Tue, Jan 15 2013 16:00
by mpower88

No that's the interesting thing - the download sopranos are not all the same singers though I believe a couple of them are, but mostly not. So the thing is there is a patch you get that has both the soprano sections into a 32 singer ensemble which has a fantastic sound.

Or you can use the two sections together as a soprano divisi section. Pretty sweet!

Full Vienna Collection.
Steinberg UR22mkII USB
Posted on Tue, Jan 15 2013 16:17
by cgernaey

And you all say it's better than Requiem?  Hmm sounds tempting.

Does it have solo voices at all?  Demo's sound nice but I don't hear if there is any solo's.

Posted on Tue, Jan 15 2013 16:29
by mpower88

It's hard to explain it, for a start the VSL programming on the choirs is much cleaner and more predictable - the legatos are certainly smoother and overall the engineering programming is better. However, with the Requiem choir they freely admit that it's got all the rough edges on purpose... so I suppose they have different uses. But if I had to choose one over the other, the VSL choir is really something truly excellent and beautiful sounding, which you can use on anything. I say the programming is "clean" but that is not to say the library itself is "clean" - it is certainly clean in terms of performance, and engineering, but it is not without feel, depth and emotion. I really love it a lot. That said, sadly (VERY sadly) though understandably, there are no soloists, and no phrases like other libraries (well it has some), or wordbuilding as already discussed. But each section is on it's own, so you have Basses, Tenors, Altos and Sopranos (plus the second sopranos as mentioned if you were lucky enough to download that when it was available). It just blends effortlessly, and there are a lot of great articulations. As I said, the sound of it is so great that I regularly find myself giving up phrases and going with VSL choir. I believe the detail they went to meant they had to choose between doing their typical best of the best top of the line VSL style of engineering and recording OR doing phrases and so on, they made the right choice. That said, I think anyone can agree that if they would release a follow up ..... that would be unbelievable. For the record Requiem is also a fantastic library, don't want to diss those guys, just saying, if I had to choose one or the other, I'd go with VSL, but happily, I have both :)

Full Vienna Collection.
Steinberg UR22mkII USB
Posted on Tue, Jan 15 2013 16:37
by cgernaey

Thanks that's great information!  I bet they could sound pretty haunting inside one of MIR PRO's mystic rooms.