Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
Can I disable MIR Pro 24 from loading in VEP?
Last post Mon, Jan 21 2019 by richhickey, 16 replies.
Options
Go to last post
Posted on Tue, Apr 11 2017 01:25
by eirikbj
Joined on Wed, Nov 18 2015, Posts 27

Hi,

I have a multi-instance VEP connected to Logic. MIR loads a seperate "instance" in each instance and i can´t put the instruments in "the same room" as to speak.

I am now looking in to using the stand alone MIR as a plugin in Logic, but still want to run the samples via VEP.
So my setup i like this.

VEP <--samples--> LOGIC <--reverb--> MIR PRO

I am though, afraid that the MIRs loaded up in VEP  drains uneccesary resources from my mac.

So: Can i disable them?

PS: I really love the way I can setup my entire orhcestra in one VEP instance --> Full control!, but alas, Logic is no good in multiport setup. ThatÅ› why I am looking to still use a multi-instance setup with Logic

Eirik

Posted on Tue, Apr 11 2017 10:08
by Dietz
Joined on Tue, Aug 06 2002, Vienna / Europe, Posts 7275

Hi Eirik,

I assume that you have enabled the option for "auto-adding MIR Pro" to each new instrument channel in Vienna Ensemble Pro. By deactivating this option, MIR won't be instantiated automatically any longer (see screenshot 1).

... a little-known trick to work with _one_ instance of MIR Pro across multiple VE Pro frames is to use its more "conventional" VST/AU-plug-in version instead of the full-blown, VE Pro based versions. You will lose some nifty features like auto-guessing Instrument Profiles and the like, but you won't need to use seperate instances of MIR in each instance of VE Pro any longer (... assuming that they all reside on the same computer, of course). Just de-activate the respective MIR Pro Preference (see screenshot 2).

HTH,

Dietz attached the following image(s):
AutoAddMIRPro.png (9kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
MIRPreferences.png (78kb) downloaded 9 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
Posted on Tue, Apr 11 2017 17:17
by eirikbj
Joined on Wed, Nov 18 2015, Posts 27

Hi Dietz.

The option is deactivated, but i still get the MIR window in my instances.

Is it sufficient to close the window to stop MIR from taking resources?

Eirik

Posted on Wed, Apr 12 2017 09:15
by Dietz

Oh, you're talking about MIR Pro's startup view! Apart from a few KB of RAM this won't use any ressources at all. Just make sure that you don't add MIR Pro to any of your channels.

As a matter of fact, MIR hardly uses any CPU as long as there are no signals to calculate. The only exception would be a scenario where you would DISable the Preference for dynamic processing - but this wouldn't make sense in most cases anyway. 

Kind regards,

Posted on Mon, Apr 17 2017 03:00
by FineCutBodies
Joined on Sun, Nov 08 2015, Los Angeles, Posts 4

Originally Posted by: Dietz Go to Quoted Post

... a little-known trick to work with _one_ instance of MIR Pro across multiple VE Pro frames is to use its more "conventional" VST/AU-plug-in version instead of the full-blown, VE Pro based versions. You will lose some nifty features like auto-guessing Instrument Profiles and the like, but you won't need to use seperate instances of MIR in each instance of VE Pro any longer (... assuming that they all reside on the same computer, of course). Just de-activate the respective MIR Pro Preference (see screenshot 2).

I'm not a MIR owner yet, but currently considering to buy it and use it on my VEP server. So probably this is why it's not obvious for me how this solves the problem. Could you help me out how it works? 

I simply add an instance of the MIR VST to an empty "VEP instance" then I can route any buses of any other VEP instances into this one MIR VST if those instances are on the same computer (same project)?

In my server project I have VEP instances like Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, etc... so if I want to send some buses from those instances into the one and only MIR plugin in the same VEP project, can I do it? Is there an inter-instance routing in VEP, or it's just some MIR specific thing?

Appreciate your help, Dietz!

Fine Cut Bodies
Posted on Mon, Apr 17 2017 13:25
by Dietz

Originally Posted by: FineCutBodies Go to Quoted Post
[...]

I simply add an instance of the MIR VST to an empty "VEP instance" then I can route any buses of any other VEP instances into this one MIR VST if those instances are on the same computer (same project)?

Exactly. I just wouldn't call a MIR instance a "bus", to avoid confusion. MIR Pro is meant to be used on individual instruments or homgeneous ensembles (e.g. "8 Horns"). ... but technically, you could use it on submixed Group channels (a.k.a. "busses"), too. :-)

I'll add some screenshots in a follow-up message to make the approach even more obvious.

Quote:

In my server project I have VEP instances like Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, etc... so if I want to send some buses from those instances into the one and only MIR plugin in the same VEP project, can I do it? Is there an inter-instance routing in VEP, or it's just some MIR specific thing?

Yes, you could do this, and it is indeed a MIR Pro-specific feature. As soon as you use the conventional VST/AU-plug-in version of MIR Pro instead of its "built-in" full version in VE Pro, it is just another plug-in for VE Pro (that happens to run a main GUI seperately from the host applictation).

... just be aware that you'll lose the clever exchange of meta-information between the two applications then: Vienna Instruments won't get dedected automatically any more, names have to be typed in manually, volume settings and colour of the MIR Pro instance and the channel which hosts it aren't mirroring each other any longer, and so on.

Kind regards,

Posted on Mon, Apr 17 2017 13:37
by Dietz

The promised screenshots:

File Attachment(s):
MIR-Pro-VST-plug-in_in_multiple_VE-Pro-instances.png (697kb) downloaded 74 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Posted on Tue, Apr 18 2017 06:22
by evan evans
Joined on Tue, Jun 17 2003, Hollywood, CA, USA, Posts 2058

Originally Posted by: Dietz Go to Quoted Post
The promised screenshots:
Really cool screenshot. But, hmm, I'm not sure I understand the routing going on here. I am not sure which window is showing the contents of which VST plugin and which VST plugin is in which instance. How to set it all up. Maybe it will be easier to illustrate more clearly with just 2 instances in a screenshot like this Dietz?

Best regards,

Evan Evans

Evan Evans
Film Scoring Academy
http://filmscoring.academy
Posted on Tue, Apr 18 2017 08:20
by Paul
Joined on Sat, Aug 03 2002, Vienna, Posts 11376

Hi Evan, 

To the left, you see one of the three instances in VE PRO, with MIR PRO inserted as a plug-in (NOT the MIR PRO integrated in VE PRO).

To the right, you see the MIR PRO Server (a separate server outside of VE PRO), with the 3 MIR PRO icons that receive information from the 3 VE PRO instances, all in one MIR PRO window. 

I don't know how this could be displayed in a clearer way..... Give it a try to rebuild it, should only take 2 minutes!

Best,
Paul

Paul Kopf
Product Manager - Vienna Symphonic Library
Posted on Tue, Apr 18 2017 22:55
by FineCutBodies
Joined on Sun, Nov 08 2015, Los Angeles, Posts 4

Thanks Dietz and Paul!

Fine Cut Bodies
Posted on Wed, Apr 19 2017 03:33
by evan evans

Okay thanks Paul. And hopefully I can achieve this with MIR PRO 24, right? I'll give it a try this weekend.

Evan Evans
Film Scoring Academy
Posted on Wed, Apr 19 2017 09:10
by Paul

Hi, 

MIR PRO 24 works exactly the same way, only limitation: no more than 24 icons. 

Best,
Paul

Paul Kopf
Posted on Mon, May 29 2017 09:04
by evan evans

Originally Posted by: Paul Go to Quoted Post
To the left, you see one of the three instances in VE PRO, with MIR PRO inserted as a plug-in (NOT the MIR PRO integrated in VE PRO).
I'm not sure why, but I don't see MIR PRO or any VSL plugins, listed in the VST submenu of the plugin selector dropdown.
Originally Posted by: Paul Go to Quoted Post
To the right, you see the MIR PRO Server (a separate server outside of VE PRO)
You say it would be on a separate server. Could it be on the same server? Would I just insert it on another Project called for example: "MIR"?

Best,
Evan

Evan Evans
Film Scoring Academy
Posted on Mon, May 29 2017 13:20
by Paul

Hi Evan, 

Please install MIR PRO /24 again

As soon as MIR PRO shows up in your INSERT FX plug-ins, it should all be clear. 

Best,
Paul

Paul Kopf
Posted on Tue, Oct 16 2018 17:39
by Dewdman42
Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2018, Posts 363

Thanks a lot for pointing out this approach.  I would like to suggestion a feature for MIR PRO would be that in the VEP version of the MIRPRO plugin, it would be nice to have an option in there that can consolidate MIR across instances into one stage...so that we can get the VEP integration to detect and load instrument setups into MIR, which is extremely time saving...but with LPX we pretty much always have ot use multiple VEP instances...so its a bit of an ironic dilema.  If the built in VEP MIR plugin could also consolidate like the AU/VST version...that would be supremely helpful.

5,1 MacPro 12core X 3.46ghz, 128gb ram, RX580 video, OSX Mojave, VSL (almost everything), LogicPro, Cubase10, StudioOne, DP9, Reaper, Dorico, Finale, MuseScore, Notion6, EW Hollywood Orch, Kirk Hunter, GPO, much more..
Posted on Mon, Jan 21 2019 23:12
by richhickey
Joined on Wed, Nov 01 2017, Posts 21

Originally Posted by: Dewdman42 Go to Quoted Post

Thanks a lot for pointing out this approach.  I would like to suggestion a feature for MIR PRO would be that in the VEP version of the MIRPRO plugin, it would be nice to have an option in there that can consolidate MIR across instances into one stage...so that we can get the VEP integration to detect and load instrument setups into MIR, which is extremely time saving...but with LPX we pretty much always have ot use multiple VEP instances...so its a bit of an ironic dilema.  If the built in VEP MIR plugin could also consolidate like the AU/VST version...that would be supremely helpful.

+1 - this would be a sensible and desirable feature