Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
Noob Question: RAM Usage in VEP7 with Kontakt 6
Last post Thu, May 16 2019 by bigcat75, 5 replies.
Options
Go to last post
Posted on Mon, May 13 2019 20:15
by bigcat75
Joined on Sun, Mar 03 2019, Posts 6

Hello, quick noob question on VEP7 RAM usage with Kontakt 6.

If I load 8 instances of the same instrument in one Kontakt instance in a VEP7 server project, the RAM usage in Kontakt only shows the RAM usage of one instrument, as expected just like when I use in stand-alone. However, when I look in my Task Manager in Windows 10, I see that VEP7 is allocating RAM for all 8 instances of the instrument.

For example, I load a string instrument from Red Room Audio Symphonic Sketchpad. Kontakt shows ~300MB of RAM usage. I then load the same instrument 7 more times for a total of 8 open instrument instances. The Kontakt RAM usage still only shows ~300MB, but the Task Manager in Windows 10 shows VEP7 at ~2.5GB.

Is this the correct behavior for VEP7? Just curious if VEP7 is dynamically or statically allocating RAM. Sounds like the latter if this is the correct behavior.

Thanks!!

-Felix

Posted on Tue, May 14 2019 18:03
by bigcat75

Bump. I'm just looking for conformation that this is the correct behavior. Can someone verify?

Thanks,

-Felix

Posted on Wed, May 15 2019 06:23
by Paul
Joined on Sat, Aug 03 2002, Vienna, Posts 11311

Hi, 

I'm not entirely sure, but that sounds like Windows is reserving resources (or at least showing that in the Task Manager). 

Best,
Paul

Paul Kopf
Product Manager - Vienna Symphonic Library
Posted on Wed, May 15 2019 11:31
by MS
Joined on Wed, Feb 19 2003, Liechtenstein, Posts 1723

Kontakt doesn't share any memory between instances AFAIK, so the memory meter you see inside of Kontakt displays how much RAM is used for sample preload by that instance alone.

VSL's instruments can share preload memory between instances; thus, loading up a second instance with the same instruments will only add a tiny bit of overhead. The memory meter inside VSL instruments therefore display the total preload size used by that specific instrument, for the entire process. 

--
Martin Saleteg
Software Developer
Vienna Symphonic Library GmbH
Posted on Thu, May 16 2019 00:07
by bigcat75

Originally Posted by: MS Go to Quoted Post

Kontakt doesn't share any memory between instances AFAIK, so the memory meter you see inside of Kontakt displays how much RAM is used for sample preload by that instance alone.

VSL's instruments can share preload memory between instances; thus, loading up a second instance with the same instruments will only add a tiny bit of overhead. The memory meter inside VSL instruments therefore display the total preload size used by that specific instrument, for the entire process. 

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I think Windows may just be temporarily reserving memory as I load instrumemts, but is later deallocating it. I have read a few other posts where folks have noticed that the RAM usage significantly drops shortly after they notice a spike. I will monitor and see...

Thanks, again!