Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
(FIXED) Vienna Instruments: Complete Crash
Last post Tue, Nov 30 2021 by J.H., 2 replies.
Options
Go to last post
Posted on Mon, Nov 29 2021 22:19
by J.H.
Joined on Mon, Jun 02 2014, USA, Posts 30

Howdy all,

Today I was working in MainStage for awhile, where I use instances of the Vienna Instruments Pro plugin. I don't know what triggered it, but at some point, MainStage would crash completely whenever I tried to open the VI plugin on one of my channel strips. Same thing would happen if I tried inserting the VI plugin on a channel strip-- the application crashes immediately.

Again, not sure what triggered this because I wasn't really tinkering in the VI plugin itself. Just at some point it failed to respond to any MIDI input and would crash when I tried to open it / insert it.

Even though I wasn't working in Logic, when I then tested the plugin there, I got the same results.

The standalone VI Pro applicatoin also crashes immediately for me upon trying to open it, but frankly it's been that way for a month or so now. But the plugin just started crashing for me today. 

Anyone able to point me in a helpful direction?

---------
Here's what I've tried so far, but the problem still persists:

• restart the application (Mainstage/Logic)
  • restart my computer
  • attempt to open the plugin in a new fresh project
  • rescan the plugin inside Mainstage/Logic's Plug-In Manager
  • install the latest version of Vienna Instruments Pro (from Nov 15)
  • erase Vienna Instruments Pro and re-install

I am running MacOS Big Sur 11.6.1. Macbook Pro 2017. 

The complete problem report from the crash can be read here.

Posted on Tue, Nov 30 2021 05:01
by J.H.
Joined on Mon, Jun 02 2014, USA, Posts 30

Well the VI Pro plugin is working now... and I have no idea why. I didn't tamper with it any further after leaving my last post. But it's a little scary because I don't know what caused it in the first place. And I can't afford to have something like that pop up out of nowhere again before/during a live show.

The VI Standalone app still is crashing every time I try to open it though. But far far far less concerned about that.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's all crashing for me again just as it was before. Anyone ever encounter a similar issue? What should I try next?

EDIT 2: Alright I figured out the problem, and I'm a little embarrassed. Turns out the eLicenser key was not plugged in properly. Man, I hate dongles...

Once I plugged it in all the way, things were loading again ok. Still, kinda weird, because in the past I'd get a warning message when it wasn't plugged in. It wouldn't completely crash Logic/MainStage like this.

And again, the standalone VI app still crashes immediately upon trying to load. Oh well.