Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
PT10, VEP5 in slave mode, dropouts and latency issues
Last post Sat, Mar 09 2013 by guitarguru12, 7 replies.
Options
Go to last post
Posted on Wed, Dec 26 2012 15:37
by flyingten
Joined on Sat, Feb 18 2012, Posts 11
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me with this, because I keep reading about how rock solid VE Pro5 is, and I'm not there yet. In short, clicks, pops and/or terrible latency issues.

Set up basics: ProTools 10.x, PT|TDM|HD3 on a Mac Pro (2007) 3G 4 processor, 14G of RAM running 10.7.5. MacMini is running 10.8.x (most current). VEP on slave running 64bit (although 32bit doesn't make any difference in my problem). No issues with physical connections, and I've tweaked the plug in connections as much as I can with mixed and all unsatisfactory results.

I got VEP5 almost a year ago and always had click and pop issues, as well as overdriving the MP's processing no matter what I did (yes, I know it's 5 years old...). I just bought a MacMini, 2.6G i7, 16G RAM to act as a slave and take the processing load off of the MP. I have it all hooked up but I am having incredible latency and/or dropout issues from the incoming data. In short, it's as bad or worse than it was.

In the default position, I get reasonable latency response from VEP but terrible dropouts, clicks & pops from the incoming slave data. In order to get the junk to disappear, I have to bump the buffers all the way up, which is then unusable because of the latency issues. Does that all make sense?

I can't be the only one who is experiencing this...does anyone have an answer for me?

Thanks in advance for your help. Happy Holidays!
Posted on Wed, Dec 26 2012 17:15
by DG
Joined on Wed, May 12 2004, Posts 8608

Check that you're not running over Wi-Fi by mistake.

DG

Nuendo 6.03, 4.3
2 x Intel Xeon x5675 3.07GHz Hex Core
48GB RAM
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Posted on Wed, Dec 26 2012 18:46
by flyingten
Joined on Sat, Feb 18 2012, Posts 11
Holy crap...I think you may be right! I had the cables plugged in but never bothered to check the see that the connection was hot...it isn't. Wow. Thank you, old wise one.
Posted on Wed, Dec 26 2012 19:21
by flyingten
Joined on Sat, Feb 18 2012, Posts 11
Yeah...just unbelievable. I guess wireless is so ubiquitous that I didn't even consider that I had made that mistake. Wow. It just takes one person to know where to look for the gremlins! Thanks a bunch DG.

One question...now that I have it set correctly, the slave address doesn't auto populate in the VEP RTAS plug in window for a connection to my slave server. It used to do that all the time. Any idea where that went?

P
Posted on Thu, Dec 27 2012 09:03
by MS
Joined on Wed, Feb 19 2003, Liechtenstein, Posts 1723

The last release of VEP5 should filter out Wifi interfaces when scanning for slaves. Perhaps your template/session was saved with a wifi connection however, in which case it will reconnect to that one.

--
Martin Saleteg
Software Developer
Vienna Symphonic Library GmbH
Posted on Fri, Dec 28 2012 21:17
by flyingten
Joined on Sat, Feb 18 2012, Posts 11
Well, on that subject...that's not my experience. I am running 5.1.11849, a 64 bit instance of the server on my slave. Ever since I "fixed" the ethernet/wireless problem, the Server Interface on my host is having a heck of a time finding a server to connect to. If my wireless is hot on the slave, then the SI finds instances via wireless, and the slave address populates correctly. But that's a wireless connection, so it's no good. When wireless is off, I get no slave address in the SI window and I can't make a connection except in rare cases, and I can't figure out why it works only sometimes.

I have checked to see if the two computers are connected correctly, and as best I can tell they are. But I can't figure out why SI isn't seeing the slave over the Ethernet port.
Posted on Sat, Mar 09 2013 13:46
by guitarguru12
Joined on Tue, Aug 25 2009, London, Posts 6
+1 to this issue above - I've been struggling with it for a while now.

I'm working with fixed IP's on both Mac host and PC slave, and experiencing intermittent dropouts, VEP server unable to connect to or sometimes even see the client IP, and loading existing templates where what should be automatic connections to VEP aren't even made.

I've tried running various different versions of VEP 5 now, not to mention a whole host of other fixes outside of and unrelated to Vienna, but to no avail.

Have noticed a few other people having this same problem - there must be a solution!
You cannot post new threads in this forum.
You cannot reply to threads in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.