Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
Options
Go to last post
4 Pages123>»
Posted on Thu, Feb 26 2015 11:50
by Paul
Joined on Sat, Aug 03 2002, Vienna, Posts 11531

Dear Logic & Vienna Ensemble PRO 5 users, 

We have just uploaded the brandnew 16 Port Multiport Template Song for Logic X PRO 10.1 or higher!

  • Up to 256 MIDI Channels available within 1 VE PRO instance (without using Event Input Plug-ins!!)
  • No more dropouts and hanging notes due to the increased internal buffer size since Logic PRO X 10.1

Check out the great overview in this starting template, conveniently organized with Track Stacks and documented in the updated VE PRO 5 manual (page 45). 

Best, 
Paul

Paul Kopf
Product Manager - Vienna Symphonic Library
Posted on Fri, Feb 27 2015 04:36
by Cyril Blanc
Joined on Thu, Dec 19 2002, Paris France, Posts 2630

Hello Paul

 

Great new, many thanks. Does it perform better than IAC ?

 

Now to be a very happy Logic user, we need Expression Maps for Logic ;)

 

A Question for you or for Martin  :

When you are programing an AU do you have acces to the Meta data of Logic

 

Best

Cyril

MacPro 2010 12 core 2.93 ghz 64 GB Mac OS X 10.11 2722 Rocket Raid Sata III card with 8 x ssd
VSL lib on a Raid 0 of 4 x 256 GB ssd Sata III - Raid 0 of 4 x 64 GB for other libs
System on a 1 TB ssd
Audio Motu PCI system 84 ins / 64 outs
Kbd : P80 Yamaha, S88 and S25 Komplete Kontrol, DX7
I-Controls Pro, 2xMidi expression pedals
Synth : many....
---
Macbook pro Retina 2.7 ghz 16 GB
---
Mac Mini server 10.10 (server EyeTV, Itunes, WEB, and Backup )
--
Logic X , Dorico, Band In A Box, ORB Composer
VSL : MIR PRO, Appassionata Strings I, Solo strings , Wind and Brass Complete, Dimension Brass, Overdrive
Kontakt, Omnisphere, QLSO, QLSC, CS 80, Arturia V5, Maximo, Realivox Blue. CS 80 V3, The Orchestra, Art Conductor 5, Genesis Children Choir, Lunaris, Lacrimosa

Final Cut pro
Camera full HD
Posted on Thu, Apr 02 2015 04:05
by rilesmusic
Joined on Wed, May 31 2006, Posts 8

Hi Paul, and anyone else who might be replying.  Thanks for this post.  I'm just getting VE Pro 5 up and running for the first time - with my main Mac running Logic 10.1.1 and 2 slave computers.  I've been reading the (updated) manual and watching some online videos too.  I've had a multi-computer set up for a while but I'm new to VE Pro.  I couldn't tell if I should definitely be using this new multiport environment, or maybe the older method of using I/O plugins in Logic to force Live mode.  It sounds like the main drawback of the old method might be having all of the Live mode channels running on a single CPU core.  I'll have a big Logic template with at least several hundred tracks so I'm guessing that might cause problems.  And it sounds like the main drawback of the new system is that you can't use any Audio input plugins (but I'm guessing you could still use those with a separate instance of VEPro that uses the old method? - you could mix and match instances within the same Logic session?)  And then I'm reading that the old method might be causing "dropouts and hanging notes" in Logic 10.1.

So my questions are:  Is this new multiport template the best way to go?  Are there any other significant drawbacks I'm missing?  And also, is it pretty straightforward to import that environment layer (maybe twice, once for each slave computer) into a new template I'm creating?

Thanks for the help!

Tim

Posted on Thu, Apr 02 2015 08:15
by Cyril Blanc
Joined on Thu, Dec 19 2002, Paris France, Posts 2630

Originally Posted by: rilesmusic Go to Quoted Post

Hi Paul, and anyone else who might be replying.  Thanks for this post.  I'm just getting VE Pro 5 up and running for the first time - with my main Mac running Logic 10.1.1 and 2 slave computers.  

 

Can you give details of your computers, disks, where are your libs.....

MacPro 2010 12 core 2.93 ghz 64 GB Mac OS X 10.11 2722 Rocket Raid Sata III card with 8 x ssd
VSL lib on a Raid 0 of 4 x 256 GB ssd Sata III - Raid 0 of 4 x 64 GB for other libs
System on a 1 TB ssd
Audio Motu PCI system 84 ins / 64 outs
Kbd : P80 Yamaha, S88 and S25 Komplete Kontrol, DX7
I-Controls Pro, 2xMidi expression pedals
Synth : many....
---
Macbook pro Retina 2.7 ghz 16 GB
---
Mac Mini server 10.10 (server EyeTV, Itunes, WEB, and Backup )
--
Logic X , Dorico, Band In A Box, ORB Composer
VSL : MIR PRO, Appassionata Strings I, Solo strings , Wind and Brass Complete, Dimension Brass, Overdrive
Kontakt, Omnisphere, QLSO, QLSC, CS 80, Arturia V5, Maximo, Realivox Blue. CS 80 V3, The Orchestra, Art Conductor 5, Genesis Children Choir, Lunaris, Lacrimosa

Final Cut pro
Camera full HD
Posted on Thu, Apr 02 2015 17:40
by rilesmusic
Joined on Wed, May 31 2006, Posts 8

Sure Cyril.  Here's what I'm working with:

MacPro (late 2013 model), 12-core 2.7GHz, 64GB RAM, OS 10.9.5;  UAD Apollo audio interface;  Logic Pro 10.1.1;  libraries on 2 1TB SSD drives (on a PCIe card in a Sonnet Echo Express III, connected with Thunderbolt) and 2 3TB USB3 drives

Slave 1:  PC Intel Core i7, 4-core 3.07GHz, 24GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro;  running mainly EastWest Play stuff

Slave 2:  older Intel MacPro, 4-core 2.66GHz, 16GB RAM, OS 10.6.8 (VEPro seems to be working fine on this OS);  multiple drives and libraries

All the computers have VE Pro 5 (latest version) installed and they all seem to be playing well with each other.  (Before I was using MIDI over LAN and bigger audio interfaces to connect the computers in my setup.)  I'm not sure if I'll be running VEPro (beyond the server) on my master computer - it may only be running on the 2 slaves.  I'll be using a lot of Kontakt instances and lots of different libraries.

I'm able to get sounds from the slave computers playing within Logic.  It's just that before I set up a big template, I want to decide which of the 2 methods for handling VEPro within Logic makes the most sense.  I'd hate to get 2 days into setting up a big orchestral+ template and then find out I'd gone the wrong direction and have to start over.  That might be very unlikely I know - just trying to find out what I can up front.

I'm working now on doubling the environment in the template that Paul gave, so I can access both my slave computers that way.

Thanks!

Tim

Posted on Fri, Apr 03 2015 05:23
by Cyril Blanc
Joined on Thu, Dec 19 2002, Paris France, Posts 2630

The Idea I have with VSL is the main computer does nead to be the most powerfull.

You can run Logic on your old MAC and use your faster MAC with the SSD as a slave. If you use MIR it is the best setup. 

I use mainly VSL, and a few Kontakt, EXS and Omnisphere that I send as Audio tracks to MIR

To avoid to have Hundreds of track I use Program Changes to send keyswitches 

I have no expericence with Windows slaves.

 

I use IAC and I have not tried the second version of the Multiport yet. VSL has not answered to my question 

I have just received my cables yesterday to set my 2 raids with 4 x ssd each, I think this is the direction to go ! I single fast computer with very quick disk acces 

I will give you feed back next week as I dont want to touch my computer until after the saturday's rehersal I have with  my band (we use Mainstage3 for the keyboards)

MacPro 2010 12 core 2.93 ghz 64 GB Mac OS X 10.11 2722 Rocket Raid Sata III card with 8 x ssd
VSL lib on a Raid 0 of 4 x 256 GB ssd Sata III - Raid 0 of 4 x 64 GB for other libs
System on a 1 TB ssd
Audio Motu PCI system 84 ins / 64 outs
Kbd : P80 Yamaha, S88 and S25 Komplete Kontrol, DX7
I-Controls Pro, 2xMidi expression pedals
Synth : many....
---
Macbook pro Retina 2.7 ghz 16 GB
---
Mac Mini server 10.10 (server EyeTV, Itunes, WEB, and Backup )
--
Logic X , Dorico, Band In A Box, ORB Composer
VSL : MIR PRO, Appassionata Strings I, Solo strings , Wind and Brass Complete, Dimension Brass, Overdrive
Kontakt, Omnisphere, QLSO, QLSC, CS 80, Arturia V5, Maximo, Realivox Blue. CS 80 V3, The Orchestra, Art Conductor 5, Genesis Children Choir, Lunaris, Lacrimosa

Final Cut pro
Camera full HD
Posted on Sun, Apr 05 2015 11:43
by Sami Boman
Joined on Wed, Mar 23 2005, Jyväskylä, Finland, Posts 180

Thanks for this new multiport setup. I think it's really good. Would it be too hard to make some kind of a step by step istruction how it was built up? I'm using VE Pro on two computers and I'm trying to build up another similar set of instuments and ports to the same project in the Logic midi environment that I could then route to another software instrument track and through that to my slave computer.

Is it clear what I'm trying to do here, is this message understandable?

Posted on Fri, Apr 17 2015 20:26
by Berlioz2014
Joined on Wed, Oct 08 2014, Posts 2

Hello Paul and Community:  Using this new logic template : 

1. Open instance of VE Pro and load a simple plugin instrument - ppg

I loaded a simple ppg wave instrument in VEPro and assigned it midi port 1 and midi channel 1. It plays in Logic template VE Pro Midi port 1, on every sub midi channel  vep 01 1 to vep 01 16. It plays on all 16 midi channels in that midi port 1 section. If I assigned the ppg instrument in VEPro instance in VEPro Midi port 1, to anything other than midi channel 1 or omni, it does not play at all in Logic VE Pro Midi port 1 on any sub midi channel 1-16. 

This is true for all the midi ports 1-16.

Similary if I assign the instrument to midi port to 2 and midi channel 1 the ppg instrument in my example plays similarly on every channel 1-16 of VEPro Midi Port 2 in logic. If I assign any other midi channel it will not play in that port in logic. This is true for all VEPro Midi ports 1- 16 in the logic template. 

Anyone had this trouble? I'm sure I'm doing something really stupid. Any ideas?

Thanks

Ray

Posted on Sun, May 10 2015 22:49
by anastasia
Joined on Fri, Jan 13 2012, Posts 1

Thank you for the template!

How would I go about extending this template for more than one instance of VE Pro?

Posted on Sat, May 16 2015 07:14
by Sami Boman
Joined on Wed, Mar 23 2005, Jyväskylä, Finland, Posts 180

Originally Posted by: anastasia Go to Quoted Post

Thank you for the template!

How would I go about extending this template for more than one instance of VE Pro?

 

This is exactly what I'd like to know too. Could someone please help with this?

Posted on Sat, May 16 2015 16:27
by Cyril Blanc
Joined on Thu, Dec 19 2002, Paris France, Posts 2630

Hello

I have made one that use 2 x instance of VEP, one for port 1-8 and another for 9-16, the problem is that I am on holiday very far from my musical computer

I can send it to you to give a trial, give me your email

 

Best

 

Cyril

MacPro 2010 12 core 2.93 ghz 64 GB Mac OS X 10.11 2722 Rocket Raid Sata III card with 8 x ssd
VSL lib on a Raid 0 of 4 x 256 GB ssd Sata III - Raid 0 of 4 x 64 GB for other libs
System on a 1 TB ssd
Audio Motu PCI system 84 ins / 64 outs
Kbd : P80 Yamaha, S88 and S25 Komplete Kontrol, DX7
I-Controls Pro, 2xMidi expression pedals
Synth : many....
---
Macbook pro Retina 2.7 ghz 16 GB
---
Mac Mini server 10.10 (server EyeTV, Itunes, WEB, and Backup )
--
Logic X , Dorico, Band In A Box, ORB Composer
VSL : MIR PRO, Appassionata Strings I, Solo strings , Wind and Brass Complete, Dimension Brass, Overdrive
Kontakt, Omnisphere, QLSO, QLSC, CS 80, Arturia V5, Maximo, Realivox Blue. CS 80 V3, The Orchestra, Art Conductor 5, Genesis Children Choir, Lunaris, Lacrimosa

Final Cut pro
Camera full HD
Posted on Tue, May 26 2015 08:00
by mmueller
Joined on Mon, Sep 28 2009, Posts 119

Originally Posted by: Cyril Go to Quoted Post

To avoid to have Hundreds of track I use Program Changes to send keyswitches 

How are you doing this?

Posted on Tue, May 26 2015 14:12
by Cyril Blanc
Joined on Thu, Dec 19 2002, Paris France, Posts 2630

I do that with Logic's Environment

It is simple to write an Environment where you say :

If I receive a program change = to 1, I send C0

.....

Until B0

Then you describe a Multi instrument

Prog 1 = Staccato

Prog 2 = Legato

and so on

MacPro 2010 12 core 2.93 ghz 64 GB Mac OS X 10.11 2722 Rocket Raid Sata III card with 8 x ssd
VSL lib on a Raid 0 of 4 x 256 GB ssd Sata III - Raid 0 of 4 x 64 GB for other libs
System on a 1 TB ssd
Audio Motu PCI system 84 ins / 64 outs
Kbd : P80 Yamaha, S88 and S25 Komplete Kontrol, DX7
I-Controls Pro, 2xMidi expression pedals
Synth : many....
---
Macbook pro Retina 2.7 ghz 16 GB
---
Mac Mini server 10.10 (server EyeTV, Itunes, WEB, and Backup )
--
Logic X , Dorico, Band In A Box, ORB Composer
VSL : MIR PRO, Appassionata Strings I, Solo strings , Wind and Brass Complete, Dimension Brass, Overdrive
Kontakt, Omnisphere, QLSO, QLSC, CS 80, Arturia V5, Maximo, Realivox Blue. CS 80 V3, The Orchestra, Art Conductor 5, Genesis Children Choir, Lunaris, Lacrimosa

Final Cut pro
Camera full HD
Posted on Sat, May 30 2015 22:14
by charles_30783
Joined on Thu, Sep 13 2007, Posts 31

Thanks for the template. I am new to Logic, having mostly used DP for years.

I can get the 16 port template to work with one of my instances. However, in DP with the new MAS version of VEP, I can have 16 ports each on multiple instances. Is there any template in the works which will allow me to multiple instances, each with 16 ports? Please advise, because right now I am finding Logic limited in this regard. 

Posted on Sat, May 30 2015 22:37
by charles_30783
Joined on Thu, Sep 13 2007, Posts 31

Originally Posted by: Sami Boman Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for this new multiport setup. I think it's really good. Would it be too hard to make some kind of a step by step istruction how it was built up? I'm using VE Pro on two computers and I'm trying to build up another similar set of instuments and ports to the same project in the Logic midi environment that I could then route to another software instrument track and through that to my slave computer.

Is it clear what I'm trying to do here, is this message understandable?

Yes, it would be great to have these step-by-step instructions. Then I could do, as Sami said, assign a new set of ports to a different slave or to another instance in the current metaframe I am using. Please - would it at all be possible to show us how you created this template? Thanks.

Charles

Posted on Sun, May 31 2015 00:12
by Cyril Blanc
Joined on Thu, Dec 19 2002, Paris France, Posts 2630

Originally Posted by: charles_30783 Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: Sami Boman Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for this new multiport setup. I think it's really good. Would it be too hard to make some kind of a step by step istruction how it was built up? I'm using VE Pro on two computers and I'm trying to build up another similar set of instuments and ports to the same project in the Logic midi environment that I could then route to another software instrument track and through that to my slave computer.

Is it clear what I'm trying to do here, is this message understandable?

Yes, it would be great to have these step-by-step instructions. Then I could do, as Sami said, assign a new set of ports to a different slave or to another instance in the current metaframe I am using. Please - would it at all be possible to show us how you created this template? Thanks.

Charles

In an upper post I have proposed you to test a version that is working with two slave.

If this is working I could make a version with any number of slave.

MacPro 2010 12 core 2.93 ghz 64 GB Mac OS X 10.11 2722 Rocket Raid Sata III card with 8 x ssd
VSL lib on a Raid 0 of 4 x 256 GB ssd Sata III - Raid 0 of 4 x 64 GB for other libs
System on a 1 TB ssd
Audio Motu PCI system 84 ins / 64 outs
Kbd : P80 Yamaha, S88 and S25 Komplete Kontrol, DX7
I-Controls Pro, 2xMidi expression pedals
Synth : many....
---
Macbook pro Retina 2.7 ghz 16 GB
---
Mac Mini server 10.10 (server EyeTV, Itunes, WEB, and Backup )
--
Logic X , Dorico, Band In A Box, ORB Composer
VSL : MIR PRO, Appassionata Strings I, Solo strings , Wind and Brass Complete, Dimension Brass, Overdrive
Kontakt, Omnisphere, QLSO, QLSC, CS 80, Arturia V5, Maximo, Realivox Blue. CS 80 V3, The Orchestra, Art Conductor 5, Genesis Children Choir, Lunaris, Lacrimosa

Final Cut pro
Camera full HD
Posted on Tue, Jun 02 2015 18:44
by charles_30783
Joined on Thu, Sep 13 2007, Posts 31

I was able to copy, in the environment window, the existing template and allow 32 ports (412 channells). All is well, thanks! I do have a question for anyone regarding this template: It would appear that ALL channels are controlled by the master fader of the main instrument - there is no individual control for each MIDI channel. Does anyone know how to get individual volume fader control using this template? Thanks. 

Posted on Tue, Jun 02 2015 19:03
by charles_30783
Joined on Thu, Sep 13 2007, Posts 31

Originally Posted by: Sami Boman Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: anastasia Go to Quoted Post

Thank you for the template!

How would I go about extending this template for more than one instance of VE Pro?

 

This is exactly what I'd like to know too. Could someone please help with this?

Hello Anastasia - I have created a version with 2 16 port instances/ 512 MIDI channels. I'll send it to you if you wish. My problem is I can't seem to get individual fader control of each MIDI channel. Have you figured this out?

Charles

Posted on Wed, Jun 03 2015 09:25
by Cyril Blanc
Joined on Thu, Dec 19 2002, Paris France, Posts 2630

Originally Posted by: charles_30783 Go to Quoted Post

Hello Anastasia - I have created a version with 2 16 port instances/ 512 MIDI channels. I'll send it to you if you wish. My problem is I can't seem to get individual fader control of each MIDI channel. Have you figured this out?

Charles

you need to use CC 11 instead of CC 7

You can convert your CC 7 to CC 11 by a transformer

MacPro 2010 12 core 2.93 ghz 64 GB Mac OS X 10.11 2722 Rocket Raid Sata III card with 8 x ssd
VSL lib on a Raid 0 of 4 x 256 GB ssd Sata III - Raid 0 of 4 x 64 GB for other libs
System on a 1 TB ssd
Audio Motu PCI system 84 ins / 64 outs
Kbd : P80 Yamaha, S88 and S25 Komplete Kontrol, DX7
I-Controls Pro, 2xMidi expression pedals
Synth : many....
---
Macbook pro Retina 2.7 ghz 16 GB
---
Mac Mini server 10.10 (server EyeTV, Itunes, WEB, and Backup )
--
Logic X , Dorico, Band In A Box, ORB Composer
VSL : MIR PRO, Appassionata Strings I, Solo strings , Wind and Brass Complete, Dimension Brass, Overdrive
Kontakt, Omnisphere, QLSO, QLSC, CS 80, Arturia V5, Maximo, Realivox Blue. CS 80 V3, The Orchestra, Art Conductor 5, Genesis Children Choir, Lunaris, Lacrimosa

Final Cut pro
Camera full HD
Posted on Wed, Jun 03 2015 19:38
by charles_30783
Joined on Thu, Sep 13 2007, Posts 31

I'll give it a shot, thanks. Does this mean that the channel faders will now be controlling 11 rather than 7 and will allow individual controller 11 per channel? 

4 Pages123>»
You cannot post new threads in this forum.
You cannot reply to threads in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.