Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
VSL and Virtual Sound Stage
Last post Fri, Aug 13 2021 by jhonny.eriksson, 9 replies.
Options
Go to last post
Posted on Fri, Aug 06 2021 13:36
by Gone To Lunch
Joined on Mon, Jul 12 2010, Posts 77

I am thinking about getting Virtual Sound Stage for use with my Vienna Libraries.

Do VSL samples have any actual panning or positioning 'built in' to them, as in how they were recorded, or are they central or neutral?

Posted on Fri, Aug 06 2021 17:07
by Dietz
Joined on Tue, Aug 06 2002, Vienna / Europe, Posts 7883

Vienna Instruments were recorded without baked-in panning or reverb, centred and covering the full stereo spectrum.

... that said, I wonder why one would even consider Virtual Sound Stage when there's the original concept available from VSL directly, with almost five thousand hand-crafted presets covering more or less every single Vienna Instrument ever released. 8-)

-> https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Vienna_Software_Package/Vienna_MIR_PRO

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
Posted on Fri, Aug 06 2021 17:49
by Gone To Lunch
Joined on Mon, Jul 12 2010, Posts 77

Originally Posted by: Dietz Go to Quoted Post

... that said, I wonder why one would even consider Virtual Sound Stage when there's the original concept available from VSL directly, with almost five thousand hand-crafted presets covering more or less every single Vienna Instrument ever released. 8-)

Because, I would have to buy VE Pro first, which would make the overall cost too high.  VSS may indeed be less sophisticated, but it seems to be able to do quite a lot of what I want affordably.

Posted on Fri, Aug 06 2021 21:23
by Dewdman42
Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2018, Posts 884

MirPro works without VePro.  VePro has some nice integrated features with MirPro if you own both.

I highly recommend MIR also, I would not even consider VSS if you are primarily using VSL instruments especially. VSS is not even remotely in the same category as MirPro.  I do realize its more expensive...

Posted on Fri, Aug 06 2021 21:34
by Dietz
Joined on Tue, Aug 06 2002, Vienna / Europe, Posts 7883

Originally Posted by: Gone To Lunch Go to Quoted Post

[....] Because, I would have to buy VE Pro first, which would make the overall cost too high. [...]

Like Dewdman42 wrote above, MIR Pro is first and foremost a plug-in that comes in the three most popular formats, namely VST, AU and AAX:

-> https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Vienna_Software_Package/Vienna_MIR_PRO#!System_Requirements

As a matter of fact, it can also be used as an integral part of Vienna Ensemble, which is especially enticing in case of Vienna Instruments as this host allows for tight integration of all components. VE is not required, though. 

... might be worth a second thought ...? ;-)

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
Posted on Sat, Aug 07 2021 07:45
by Gone To Lunch
Joined on Mon, Jul 12 2010, Posts 77

Originally Posted by: Dietz Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: Gone To Lunch Go to Quoted Post

[....] Because, I would have to buy VE Pro first, which would make the overall cost too high. [...]

Like Dewdman42 wrote above, MIR Pro is first and foremost a plug-in that comes in the three most popular formats, namely VST, AU and AAX:

-> https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Vienna_Software_Package/Vienna_MIR_PRO#!System_Requirements

As a matter of fact, it can also be used as an integral part of Vienna Ensemble, which is especially enticing in case of Vienna Instruments as this host allows for tight integration of all components. VE is not required, though. 

... might be worth a second thought ...? ;-)

I take your point, but given that I would also have to buy the room packs as well, it gets close to 1,000 Euros, which I just don't have.  On your product page there is no list of what comes with the package, and what has to be purchased additionally.

I could not find any demonstration or explanation of how it would work with VE?

Posted on Sat, Aug 07 2021 09:32
by Dietz
Joined on Tue, Aug 06 2002, Vienna / Europe, Posts 7883

Originally Posted by: Gone To Lunch Go to Quoted Post
[...]I take your point, but given that I would also have to buy the room packs as well, it gets close to 1,000 Euros, which I just don't have.  [...]

I'm not into VSL marketing, but without any special sales or students' promotions MIR Pro 24 is 295,- Euro, and a a great all-round RoomPack like the one from Vienna Konzerthaus is 195,- . All in all that's less than 500,- Euro. But yes, you get what you pay for. :-)

Quote:
[...]I could not find any demonstration or explanation of how it would work with VE?

Sound-wise it doesn't differ from the plug-in version. The main difference is in the workflow. MIR Pro "knows" a lot about Vienna Instruments, and in VE/Pro it is able to recognize the loaded instruments all by itself, reducing the need for manual setup work even further.

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
Posted on Sat, Aug 07 2021 12:32
by PaoloT
Joined on Tue, Dec 27 2016, Posts 1315

Originally Posted by: Dietz Go to Quoted Post

I'm not into VSL marketing, but without any special sales or students' promotions MIR Pro 24 is 295,- Euro, and a a great all-round RoomPack like the one from Vienna Konzerthaus is 195,- . All in all that's less than 500,- Euro. But yes, you get what you pay for. :-)

That's less of what I paid for the Alesis Quadraverb Gt, at the time. So, I should give another look at that old reverb! :)

Paolo

Posted on Fri, Aug 13 2021 14:44
by jhonny.eriksson
Joined on Mon, Jun 21 2010, Sweden, Posts 70

You get what you pay for. IMO. If you are into VI-series you are in for the best. I can testify that MIR (and VEP) are essential for the VI user experience and performance.

If you are on a budget you get pretty far with BBO or Synchron, but we pros love our VI ;)

You cannot post new threads in this forum.
You cannot reply to threads in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.