Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
HALion to Kontakt worth it?
Last post Tue, Aug 14 2007 by fcw, 4 replies.
Options
Go to last post
Posted on Fri, Aug 10 2007 22:48
by fcw
Joined on Wed, May 11 2005, UK, Posts 153
As I understand it, Kontakt 2 has no need to run instances of the Performance Tool, relying instead on scripting to achieve equivalent functionality; please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Does this mean that it has a smoother setup and use than HALion for Horizon series libraries (since HALion obliges you to have this ropey multiple MIDI channel setup out of Cubase to the PerfTool and back)?

I'm just wondering if there is a smoother workflow or configuration for K2 that makes the expense of acquiring it, and side licences, worthwhile.

Has anyone here migrated from HALion to Kontakt 2?

Which prompts another question: will side licences still be available for existing Horizon series owners beyond September 15th? I'd like to think that I'll continue to have the option to switch samplers for as long as I use the libraries, rather than having all future possiblities frozen in a month's time.
Posted on Sat, Aug 11 2007 00:20
by Anonymous Joe
Joined on Fri, Oct 13 2006, Posts 229
fcw wrote:
As I understand it, Kontakt 2 has no need to run instances of the Performance Tool, relying instead on scripting to achieve equivalent functionality; please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Does this mean that it has a smoother setup and use than HALion for Horizon series libraries (since HALion obliges you to have this ropey multiple MIDI channel setup out of Cubase to the PerfTool and back)?

I'm just wondering if there is a smoother workflow or configuration for K2 that makes the expense of acquiring it, and side licences, worthwhile.

Has anyone here migrated from HALion to Kontakt 2?

Which prompts another question: will side licences still be available for existing Horizon series owners beyond September 15th? I'd like to think that I'll continue to have the option to switch samplers for as long as I use the libraries, rather than having all future possiblities frozen in a month's time.


Is it easier in K2? Hell yes! You wont be sorry.

I hope they keep supporting side licence too. I don't see why they wouldn't
Posted on Sat, Aug 11 2007 17:04
by fcw
Joined on Wed, May 11 2005, UK, Posts 153
Anonymous Joe wrote:

Is it easier in K2? Hell yes! You wont be sorry.


Thanks; I thought that might be the case.

Anonymous Joe wrote:

I hope they keep supporting side licence too. I don't see why they wouldn't


Like you, I hope they keep them available. But since I can think of business reasons on both sides of the argument, I'm asking specifically because if I do switch to K2, I want to know if I have to do it imminently.

I'm just looking at the VSL shop, where it says this is the last chance to buy Horizon series libraries, and I note that the side licence purchasing buttons are on those same pages. So I just wonder if Herb et al think that's enough of a hint that the option to purchase further side licences goes away on September 16th as well.
Posted on Tue, Aug 14 2007 15:42
by fcw
Joined on Wed, May 11 2005, UK, Posts 153
fcw wrote:

Like you, I hope they keep them available. But since I can think of business reasons on both sides of the argument, I'm asking specifically because if I do switch to K2, I want to know if I have to do it imminently.


Just to answer my own question; I've exchanged e-mail with VSL, and they've confirmed that side licences will continue to be available for those who want them, although probably not via the shop on the web site, but rather directly from VSL's back office.
You cannot post new threads in this forum.
You cannot reply to threads in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.