Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
Options
Go to last post
Posted on Mon, Mar 03 2008 18:28
by mushanga
Joined on Sun, Sep 17 2006, Posts 186
Mine are currently registered for use in the EXS24 in Logic, but I would like to be able to play the samples back in Sibelius 5 through the Kontakt Player 2...is this no longer possible due to the Horizon series now being obsolete?
Posted on Mon, Mar 03 2008 19:06
by PolarBear
Joined on Sun, Jul 20 2003, Germany, Posts 1206

Still availible... contact VSL sales department for that.

PolarBear 

A zero can decuple an existing problem.
Posted on Tue, Mar 04 2008 08:08
by DG
Joined on Wed, May 12 2004, Posts 8608
Matt_Taylor wrote:
Mine are currently registered for use in the EXS24 in Logic, but I would like to be able to play the samples back in Sibelius 5 through the Kontakt Player 2...is this no longer possible due to the Horizon series now being obsolete?

As long as you actually have Kontakt2. This is not the same as the Kontakt that comes bundled with Sibelius.



DG
Nuendo 6.03, 4.3
2 x Intel Xeon x5675 3.07GHz Hex Core
48GB RAM
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Posted on Tue, Mar 04 2008 10:59
by mushanga
Joined on Sun, Sep 17 2006, Posts 186
You're right- I would have to purchase Kontakt 2 as a separate standalone sampler...annoying!!
Posted on Tue, Mar 04 2008 16:09
by PolarBear
Joined on Sun, Jul 20 2003, Germany, Posts 1206

In that case I'd rethink if it's not better upgrading to VSL SE, with the Opus bundle you get the discount on the EXT library... so the cost should stay about the same but you get a more versatile product which can be used in Logic and Sibelius plus you will have the benefits of being able to use mroe RAM in the future as soon as it is 64bit ready. 

A zero can decuple an existing problem.
Posted on Tue, Mar 04 2008 22:53
by mushanga
Joined on Sun, Sep 17 2006, Posts 186
PolarBear wrote:

In that case I'd rethink if it's not better upgrading to VSL SE, with the Opus bundle you get the discount on the EXT library... so the cost should stay about the same but you get a more versatile product which can be used in Logic and Sibelius plus you will have the benefits of being able to use mroe RAM in the future as soon as it is 64bit ready. 



Problem though is that if I were to buy the extended Vienna Special Edition library then I can only use THOSE samples in the VE...I won't be able to use my existing Opus samples in it (thus not being able to run all my main Opus samples in Sibelius)...will I?
Posted on Wed, Mar 05 2008 01:10
by PolarBear
Joined on Sun, Jul 20 2003, Germany, Posts 1206

I'm not sure I understand? Do you mean that you think you wouldn't be able to playback old compositions you created with Opus 1 through Sibelius when using the VIs? They take MIDI events just like Kontakt or EXS24...

PolarBear 

A zero can decuple an existing problem.
Posted on Wed, Mar 05 2008 12:13
by mushanga
Joined on Sun, Sep 17 2006, Posts 186
What I meant was that I would not be able to playback my Opus samples within Sibelius because the Vienna Ensemble is only designed to play the Vienna Instruments, not the Opus sounds. So how would I be able to playback my Opus samples in Sibelius? Hope I am making sense here =)
Posted on Wed, Mar 05 2008 12:29
by mushanga
Joined on Sun, Sep 17 2006, Posts 186
Earlier did you imply that i buy the COMPLETE VSL SE package? Cause I thought you meant just the extended library...perhaps I misread?
Posted on Wed, Mar 05 2008 12:45
by DG
Joined on Wed, May 12 2004, Posts 8608

OK, this is getting surreal now. Here are various options:

  1. Buy Kontakt 2 and a side licence and use Opus within Sibelius
  2. Buy Kontakt 2 and a side licence and use Opus within a standalone K2, piping MIDI from Sibelius
  3. Run Logic as an AU host, use Opus and pipe MIDI from Sibelius.
  4. Forget Opus and buy VE and run it within Sibelius
  5. Forget Opus and buy VE and use a standalone with MIDI piped from Sibelius
  6. Buy VE, run it within Sibelius and run a standalone of VE, with MIDI piped from Sibelius
  7. Buy VE, run it within Sibelius, buy Kontakt 2 and a side licence, use Opus within a standalone K2, piping MIDI from Sibelius
  8. Buy VE, run it within Sibelius, run Logic as an AU host, use Opus and pipe MIDI from Sibelius

I think that covers most of the options. I think that best option is 4, and this will give you the most streamlined (therefore quick) results.



DG
Nuendo 6.03, 4.3
2 x Intel Xeon x5675 3.07GHz Hex Core
48GB RAM
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Posted on Wed, Mar 05 2008 13:04
by mushanga
Joined on Sun, Sep 17 2006, Posts 186
DG wrote:

OK, this is getting surreal now. Here are various options:

  1. Buy Kontakt 2 and a side licence and use Opus within Sibelius
  2. Buy Kontakt 2 and a side licence and use Opus within a standalone K2, piping MIDI from Sibelius
  3. Run Logic as an AU host, use Opus and pipe MIDI from Sibelius.
  4. Forget Opus and buy VE and run it within Sibelius
  5. Forget Opus and buy VE and use a standalone with MIDI piped from Sibelius
  6. Buy VE, run it within Sibelius and run a standalone of VE, with MIDI piped from Sibelius
  7. Buy VE, run it within Sibelius, buy Kontakt 2 and a side licence, use Opus within a standalone K2, piping MIDI from Sibelius
  8. Buy VE, run it within Sibelius, run Logic as an AU host, use Opus and pipe MIDI from Sibelius

I think that covers most of the options. I think that best option is 4, and this will give you the most streamlined (therefore quick) results.

 

DG



Thanks - that's cleared things up a lot. I just hate the thought of not making use of my Opus samples..so, for now, I'm going to go with option 3. How would I go about doing this? I'm not very techy so wouldn't know where to start!
Posted on Wed, Mar 05 2008 14:31
by DG
Joined on Wed, May 12 2004, Posts 8608

This is now a Mac and Logic related question, therefore I can be of no help. Sorry.

DG

Nuendo 6.03, 4.3
2 x Intel Xeon x5675 3.07GHz Hex Core
48GB RAM
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Posted on Wed, Mar 05 2008 15:18
by mushanga
Joined on Sun, Sep 17 2006, Posts 186
DG wrote:

This is now a Mac and Logic related question, therefore I can be of no help. Sorry.

 

DG



Not to worry. I shall fish around for help. Thanks for your time
Posted on Wed, Mar 05 2008 17:44
by mushanga
Joined on Sun, Sep 17 2006, Posts 186
I am beginning to think I should just go for option 4. In the long run I think it may benefit me greatly. Would I have to buy the standard VI special edition library in order to get the extended library as well? Also, when playing back a composition in Sibelius, do soundsets designed for the special edition library exist so that Sibelius knows to playback specific notes (for example, a staccato as opposed to legato) the way they're meant to sound?

Thanks,

MT
Posted on Wed, Mar 05 2008 22:43
by PolarBear
Joined on Sun, Jul 20 2003, Germany, Posts 1206

Hmmm I think I grasped the confusion now... The sample base from Opus and VSL SE VI is generally the same. You hear the same recording when hitting a 14 violins staccato patch on A5 with velocity 127. You don't get all new sounds with VSL SE. Sometimes just a little less whereas a lot more on some others.

Which also leads to your other question: Standard + Extended = Full. In abbrevation talk: STD + EXT = Full. When having Horizon Opus registered you only get discount on buying EXT or Full. You only can get EXT when you already have STD. With STD alone you will miss quite a few patches you already have in Opus, and as the EXT can be possessed now by you for only a few pennies more that's definately only then worth it to "upgrade".

OTOH (on the other hand) if you don't mind the hassle of MIDI piping from Sibelius into Logic and then EXS24 you don't necessarily need to upgrade if you don't miss sounds in you palette that are contained in VSL SE.

One other thing: VI is Vienna Instrument whereas VE is Vienna Ensemble. The VI is the sample containing part (think of it as sample playback engine without sample editing capabilities). And VE is a hosting software with some mixing capabilities which could host several of the VIs.

I'm sorry that I can't help you on the Sibelius-MIDI-Logic bridge question, I simply don't know if it's possible or not.

Any questions left so far? :D

PolarBear 

A zero can decuple an existing problem.
Posted on Thu, Mar 06 2008 00:25
by mushanga
Joined on Sun, Sep 17 2006, Posts 186
PolarBear wrote:

OTOH (on the other hand) if you don't mind the hassle of MIDI piping from Sibelius into Logic and then EXS24 you don't necessarily need to upgrade if you don't miss sounds in you palette that are contained in VSL SE.

PolarBear 



I think I'm going to go ahead and purchase the STD + EXT Special Edition libraries...purely for convenience and efficiency. Sibelius have customised a soundset specifically for the special edition samples...Even if I could find out how to run MIDI into Logic for playback, I would still face big problems when specifying what notes in Sibelius should sound as staccato and not legato, etc....just so much hassle! I feel purchasing the Special Edition will be worth it...I have looked at the list of instruments, and there are still quite a few instruments and articulations in the standard library that the Opus libraries don't have...and together with the extended library (which btw contains appasionata strings :D), I'm pretty much sorted =)
Posted on Thu, Mar 06 2008 15:42
by PolarBear
Joined on Sun, Jul 20 2003, Germany, Posts 1206

Just to avoid confusion... you'll only get a few "best of" patches and not the whole Appassionata... just like you already got a "best of Pro Edition" lib with Opus 1&2 . :D

Hope you have fun with it!

PolarBear 

A zero can decuple an existing problem.
You cannot post new threads in this forum.
You cannot reply to threads in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.