Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
Vienna instruments pro timeline. Anyone know?
Last post Tue, Aug 24 2010 by Paul, 54 replies.
Options
Go to last post
3 Pages123>
Posted on Sun, Jul 25 2010 03:55
by smallfry
Joined on Mon, Feb 11 2008, Australia, Posts 44

Is there any time line for the release of Vienna Instruments Pro? I received an RSS feed that VI pro for beta testers was available but when I clicked on the link to read the forum post I was denied access.

Posted on Sun, Jul 25 2010 07:09
by jammusique
Joined on Wed, Aug 04 2004, Paris, France, Posts 259

It'll be ready when it's ready. Given the beta thing you say, it might not be too long (that hoping that beta testing doesn't uncover any real problems). Beer

WW complete. MirX Teldex, Cubase, PC
Posted on Sun, Aug 01 2010 01:32
by rverne10
Joined on Tue, May 26 2009, Michigan, USA, Posts 117
smallfry wrote:

Is there any time line for the release of Vienna Instruments Pro?

Good things are well worth waiting for.

The style of operations at Vieanna Instruments, I have noticed, is to focus on the quality of the sounds. And that's a good thing. In fact, that is a totally wonderful feature of VI. Their ability to make great VST instruments is unsurpassed. Their ability to build crossfades that make shivers fun up your spine, their ability to put the microphone in the right places; all of this is unsurpassed. You're tapping into the Rolls Royce of virtual intstruments when you come into the world of VI.

However, sometimes, . . . mmmmm

I don't know, the ability to move up to speed on some other fronts is lacking. The Vienna Instruments interface is not quite up to par with Native Instruments interface  and that is ironic becuuse VI sold off thier old Pro Edition And Horizon Series to Native Instruments. The Native Instruments interface is the industry standard. I can understand that the samples, as they come off the floor at the Silent Stage have to be reworked before they are usable in an interface like Logic of Cubase.  And I can appreciate that amount of work because I am a 'wanna' be sampler; the skill level necessary to produce a finished product like VI is stupendous, or very nearly so. However, I would think that something along the lines of Native Instruments interface could have been originally workd out and I can't understand why it was not and still is not as the NI folks  have already done a great deal of legwork on building a fantastically flexible and dynamic interface.

Maybe it's politics or branding or marketing or. . .

Stuborness?

I'm not sure. Having said all of that, again, when the new interface does come out, it will finally adjust a flawed area in an otherwise stellar product.Cake

Cubase 10.5, Windows 10 64 bit version 1809, VE Pro (build 7.0.1056) Vienna Instruments Pro 2.0 (v 2.5.18635) Universal Audio Apollo Twin, M-Audio Oxygen 88 keyboard controller, USB connection, NVIDA GeForce GTX 1600 Ti Display adapter, Intel i7-8700K CPU @3.70 GHz, 32 GB RAM Total Physical Memory
Posted on Tue, Aug 03 2010 00:29
by The Minstrel
Joined on Fri, Oct 16 2009, Sweden, Posts 98

In terms of the look, feel and intuitivness of the interface, I prefer VI to Kontakt. There are some functionality I do miss in VI though, but VI Pro will remedy this.

Posted on Tue, Aug 03 2010 09:56
by Martin
Joined on Fri, Aug 23 2002, Wien, Posts 497

Just for the record, we never "sold off" anything to Native Instruments. NI licensed a small fraction of our samples to include them in Kontakt.

Cheers, Martin

Martin Tichy
Marketing Manager - Vienna Symphonic Library
Posted on Tue, Aug 03 2010 11:38
by MS
Joined on Wed, Feb 19 2003, Vienna, Austria, Posts 1762
rverne10 wrote:

I don't know, the ability to move up to speed on some other fronts is lacking. The Vienna Instruments interface is not quite up to par with Native Instruments interface  and that is ironic becuuse VI sold off thier old Pro Edition And Horizon Series to Native Instruments. The Native Instruments interface is the industry standard. I can understand that the samples, as they come off the floor at the Silent Stage have to be reworked before they are usable in an interface like Logic of Cubase.  And I can appreciate that amount of work because I am a 'wanna' be sampler; the skill level necessary to produce a finished product like VI is stupendous, or very nearly so. However, I would think that something along the lines of Native Instruments interface could have been originally workd out and I can't understand why it was not and still is not as the NI folks  have already done a great deal of legwork on building a fantastically flexible and dynamic interface.

Hi,

could you mention any particular areas you would like to see improved upon? We have done a tremendous amount of work with VI Pro, to make our library as accessible and playable as possible, and I believe we have gone some steps beyond what any other sampler on the market can offer for orchestral samples.

Cheers,

--
Martin Saleteg
Software Developer
Vienna Symphonic Library GmbH
Posted on Tue, Aug 03 2010 14:05
by whlederman
Joined on Mon, Jan 25 2010, Posts 112

Hi Martin,
please don't feel offended,but why VI does not time-stretch all the phrase samples automatically to Host DAW Tempo? why does it have to have a time stretch level to a certain percentage of the original phrase tempo?
I appreciate the very high (or highest) sample Quality of VSL,so that I do not look around again to find some other instrument as main Instrument,
but I have to admit as well that,VSL is not as straight forward as other instruments (one of e.g using TVEC system),that just need load and play.
I may be not as technical as other user.what i want is to play my idea straight away(but again, maybe this is only applied to me )
and I already am very happy to see a huge move by VI Pro ( and ask for "american way" pre order ?! )
Thank You,

Posted on Tue, Aug 03 2010 18:32
by The Minstrel
Joined on Fri, Oct 16 2009, Sweden, Posts 98

Hm, seems I missed the details of timestretch upon reading up on the features of VI Pro. I reckon that one of the reasons for not automatically time-stretching phrases would be that this would limit the uses of the phrases. For instance, I might want to have a phrase play triplets. Or I might want to timestretch a non-phrase.

However, it would be really helpful to be able to type in the new tempo and perhaps even the time signature of the phrase, or at least have this information displayed. Having a slider tell you that the articulation is 107.5% the length of the original one isn't entirely helpful, at least not IMHO.

Posted on Wed, Aug 04 2010 08:24
by MS
Joined on Wed, Feb 19 2003, Vienna, Austria, Posts 1762
whlederman wrote:
Hi Martin, please don't feel offended,but why VI does not time-stretch all the phrase samples automatically to Host DAW Tempo?

The reason is quite simple, we don't have any such metadata for the samples in our libraries right now.

--
Martin Saleteg
Software Developer
Vienna Symphonic Library GmbH
Posted on Sat, Aug 14 2010 18:52
by rverne10
Joined on Tue, May 26 2009, Michigan, USA, Posts 117
MS wrote:

Hi,

could you mention any particular areas you would like to see improved upon? We have done a tremendous amount of work with VI Pro, to make our library as accessible and playable as possible, and I believe we have gone some steps beyond what any other sampler on the market can offer for orchestral samples.

Cheers,

Hey Martin,

If you would please read this response from a member of the Vienna Community

http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/p/25771/171264.aspx#171264

and then my response

http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/p/25771/172458.aspx#172458

Basic request is for a complete, all encompasing, user instruction manual written to teach (didactic, pedagogcial) the beginner how to successfully move from the ground to flying with VSL. We all expect a certain amount of computer expertise when using VST instruments and that's understood.

However, nothing VSL gives us (and it's not really a gift-as a paying customer, it's our right) allows us to move towards being an advanced pilot-

I would expect complete documentation for the Vienna Insturments interface would run at least 80 pages-or more.

Cubase 10.5, Windows 10 64 bit version 1809, VE Pro (build 7.0.1056) Vienna Instruments Pro 2.0 (v 2.5.18635) Universal Audio Apollo Twin, M-Audio Oxygen 88 keyboard controller, USB connection, NVIDA GeForce GTX 1600 Ti Display adapter, Intel i7-8700K CPU @3.70 GHz, 32 GB RAM Total Physical Memory
Posted on Sat, Aug 14 2010 19:44
by jammusique
Joined on Wed, Aug 04 2004, Paris, France, Posts 259

I agree that a very in depth manual, discussing (for example) each articulation, etc, is really lacking with VSL! No

WW complete. MirX Teldex, Cubase, PC
Posted on Sat, Aug 14 2010 21:00
by Paul
Joined on Sat, Aug 03 2002, Vienna, Posts 12821

Hello,

we are looking at 2 different things here:

1) An in-depth manual for each VI Collection, basically available here for the DVD Collections, in the respective Download Section of the User Area for our Download Products. The structure of all programs is described, along with the technical details. And it´s easier to listen to a detaché sample and understand what it is, than to describe it.

However, i believe that our Vienna Academy describes all instruments very well, with many aspects from sound production over playing techniques to sound combinations - this should also work as an inspiration and knowledge base.

2) And a step-by-step guide on how to work musically with all aspects of this library, which is harder to cover. I hope we will have more tutorials available soon, like the Special Edition Demo #1 that comes with 3 video tutorials and Sequencer files.

The Video Tutorials for Vienna Instruments show how the Vienna Instruments work - with simple examples.

You can find Guy Bacos Video Demos here.

And there are some MIDI files available for User Demos in the Demo Zone.

I agree that there can always be more demos and tutorials - but there will never be "the one way" to approach virtual orchestration, everyone works a little different, all over the world.

Basically, the Vienna Symphonic Library produces musical instruments (and if you buy a Stradivari, you don´t expect the seller to give you lessons...). I agree that we can and should provide more tutorials and guides, and I hope we will get there sooner rather than later.

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf
Product Manager - Vienna Symphonic Library
Posted on Sat, Aug 14 2010 21:50
by musos
Joined on Sun, Dec 08 2002, Johannesburg, South Africa, Posts 913
Paul wrote:
....if you buy a Stradivari, you don´t expect the seller to give you lessons...

Well Paul, to be fair, there ARE other violin makers!  Big Smile

But only VSL makes VI and VE and VE Pro etc etc and we the users would love to learn by seeing how you the creators (the experts) use your incredible inventions. I find watching someone's workflow with a program or plugin is really helpful. (Like the example mentioned above with Eric Persing of Spectrasonics - VERY useful tutorials indeed)

I would like to see and hear folks from the VSL team programming an orchestral part, saying "I'm using the legato patch here, but I need a sustained note, so I'll use this technique to cross-fade to a sustain patch." Stuff like that...

All the videos so far have been helpful - please give us more, particularly for when VI Pro is released.

Thanks in advance 

Colin

Posted on Sun, Aug 15 2010 00:10
by Paul
Joined on Sat, Aug 03 2002, Vienna, Posts 12821

Hi Colin,

I like Eric´s demos as well, and apart from the fact that he´s an incredible musician, the Spectrasonics instruments are a different kind of beast Big Smile

But I hear you, and we´ll do our best to add more videos (just working on the Vienna Instruments PRO videos right now).

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf
Product Manager - Vienna Symphonic Library
Posted on Sun, Aug 15 2010 07:30
by denis
Joined on Sun, Nov 16 2008, Posts 114
Paul wrote:

and if you buy a Stradivari, you don´t expect the seller to give you lessons...

So why even bother with a manual?! ;)
Posted on Sun, Aug 15 2010 08:33
by mail@olavbasoski.nl
Joined on Mon, Feb 04 2008, Posts 32

Beat Kaufmann has this type of tutorials on his website, and they're cheap.

http://www.beat-kaufmann.com/

MacPro dual quad 2.8
10 GB Ram
OS Snow Leopard 10.6.4
4 x 500 GB Sata internal
1x 2TB external (backup)
Logic 9.1.1
iLok + Synchrosoft
RME FF800
VSL SE
EWQLSO
EWQLSC
A zillion Kontakt libs.
**All software always latest updates!**
Posted on Mon, Aug 16 2010 09:24
by Ramu
Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2003, Paris, Posts 110

I know Summer is ending the 21st of September but do you think VI Pro will be released earlier :)?

Posted on Mon, Aug 16 2010 09:49
by Paul
Joined on Sat, Aug 03 2002, Vienna, Posts 12821

Yes Smile

Paul Kopf
Product Manager - Vienna Symphonic Library
Posted on Tue, Aug 17 2010 19:06
by Rob Elliott
Joined on Sun, Feb 02 2003, Salt Lake City, UT, Posts 1654

Great news Paul.   Really curious what new achievements / controllability you folks have come up with.

what would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?
Posted on Tue, Aug 17 2010 19:11
by Paul
Joined on Sat, Aug 03 2002, Vienna, Posts 12821

Hi Rob,

here´s a sneak preview!

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf
Product Manager - Vienna Symphonic Library
3 Pages123>
You cannot post new threads in this forum.
You cannot reply to threads in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.