Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
How does it compare to EWQL Symphonic Orchestra?
Last post Fri, Aug 22 2014 by johnstaf, 36 replies.
Options
Go to last post
2 Pages<12
Posted on Tue, Apr 15 2014 16:18
by BachRules
Joined on Sun, Mar 30 2014, Posts 360
And now EastWest has banned me from their forum for admitting one of their products has a show-stopping bug:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/v...08856&p=5718204#p5718204
Posted on Wed, Apr 16 2014 01:37
by Ricardo22
Joined on Mon, Oct 08 2012, Posts 78
BachRules wrote:
And now EastWest has banned me from their forum for admitting one of their products has a show-stopping bug:

Seriously or is it a joke? EWQL has really banned you from their forums? I've always thought they were pretty bad but... that is really... really bad sign for a "BIG" company... Hmm

Posted on Wed, Apr 16 2014 04:38
by Cyril Blanc
Joined on Thu, Dec 19 2002, Paris France, Posts 2723
ricardojvc6 wrote:
BachRules wrote:
And now EastWest has banned me from their forum for admitting one of their products has a show-stopping bug:

Seriously or is it a joke? EWQL has really banned you from their forums? I've always thought they were pretty bad but... that is really... really bad sign for a "BIG" company... Hmm

Do not dream, as soon you say things that are not good for there sales you get banned, and this on every forum of every company

Wink

MacBook Pro 2019 16" + 2 x Odisseey G9 49" Big Sur

MacPro 2010 12 core 2.93 ghz 64 GB Mac OS X 10.11 2722 Rocket Raid Sata III card with 8 x ssd

Kbd : P80 Yamaha, S88 and S25 Komplete Kontrol, DX7
I-Controls Pro, 2xMidi expression pedals
Synth : many....
--
Logic X , Dorico, Band In A Box, ORB Composer
VSL : MIR PRO, Appassionata Strings I, Solo strings , Wind and Brass Complete, Dimension Brass, Big Band Orchestra series, Many Synchronised libs
Kontakt, Omnisphere, QLSO, QLSC, CS 80, Arturia V5, Maximo, Realivox Blue. CS 80 V3, The Orchestra 2, Art Conductor, Genesis Children Choir, Lunaris, Lacrimosa

Final Cut pro
Camera full HD
Posted on Wed, Apr 16 2014 05:25
by Casiquire
Joined on Sat, May 01 2010, Posts 325

Most commercial forums do ban members who are particularly vocal.  It's their way of filtering out people who have some unreasonable grudge against them or people who spread misinformation about them, etc.  EWQL's forum is sort of the worst example possible though.  They deleted comments that I've posted before despite the fact that my tone was very pleasant and I wasn't even saying anything bad about a product, just asking a question.  VSL on the other hand...the mere fact that this thread is still open despite so much discussion about a competitor sort of shows the great attitude the VSL team has, because many other forums don't allow this.

Posted on Wed, Apr 16 2014 06:19
by Cyril Blanc
Joined on Thu, Dec 19 2002, Paris France, Posts 2723

It's normal that VSL does not close this discussion. QLSO is so bad !

I was one of first user of QLSO in France, We had to wait one year to be able to use it. Doug Rogers hate me because I was reporting all the bugs I found on the forum.

I left QLSO's machine gun staccato, to the beautifull staccato of VSL. Same for legato, up and down bow ......

MacBook Pro 2019 16" + 2 x Odisseey G9 49" Big Sur

MacPro 2010 12 core 2.93 ghz 64 GB Mac OS X 10.11 2722 Rocket Raid Sata III card with 8 x ssd

Kbd : P80 Yamaha, S88 and S25 Komplete Kontrol, DX7
I-Controls Pro, 2xMidi expression pedals
Synth : many....
--
Logic X , Dorico, Band In A Box, ORB Composer
VSL : MIR PRO, Appassionata Strings I, Solo strings , Wind and Brass Complete, Dimension Brass, Big Band Orchestra series, Many Synchronised libs
Kontakt, Omnisphere, QLSO, QLSC, CS 80, Arturia V5, Maximo, Realivox Blue. CS 80 V3, The Orchestra 2, Art Conductor, Genesis Children Choir, Lunaris, Lacrimosa

Final Cut pro
Camera full HD
Posted on Wed, Apr 16 2014 07:40
by cm
Joined on Fri, Dec 20 2002, vienna, Posts 9136

ahem guys, as you know VSl is closing threads and removing posts on very rare occasions ...

 

but also please consider this is a VSL user forum and though discussing the pros and cons of this or that library are welcome, the thread should not turn into bashing a competitor's product or service please.

otherwise it might be closed ;-)

and remember: a CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just four hours ...
Posted on Wed, Apr 16 2014 09:21
by Yannick
Joined on Tue, Mar 25 2014, Posts 17

Nice to read this words... before I buy VSL I wanted to buy EWQO... I was attracted by their big-sound and their incredible deals (75% off!) but in hindsight I prefer quality over quantity (although I was still hesitant).. well... to read these things... I can not be more pleased with my choice!

Asus P7P55D, I7-860, Corsair 8Gb ram (dual-channel 4x2Gb), WD 500Gb,Windows 7 64bit
Soundcard: Tascam US-122L (old version)
Old but gold Cubase 5.5
Special Edition Vol.1+ MIRx (Scoring+Mozart+Grosser)
Bösendorfer Imperial
Posted on Wed, Apr 16 2014 10:00
by musos
Joined on Sun, Dec 08 2002, Johannesburg, South Africa, Posts 916

to cm:

Thanks for your very tolerant post.

I'd prefer to turn this thread into praise for the VSL team, who constantly post helpful answers, at any time of the day or night even.

For me, VSL's support of customers has been spectacular. When there are bug reports, feedback and feature suggestions, all are dealt with swiftly, usually with a speedy response and often a speedy update.

Great products, great people....

Posted on Thu, Apr 17 2014 05:37
by jasensmith
Joined on Tue, Jan 15 2008, Arizona, Posts 1582

BachRules wrote:
And now EastWest has banned me from their forum for admitting one of their products has a show-stopping bug
 

At least you didn't get shot in the neck with a tranquilizer dartSleep

Ouch! that still hurts!!!Stick out tongue


"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it."
- W.C. Fields
Posted on Sat, Apr 19 2014 01:28
by William
Joined on Sun, Nov 24 2002, USA, Posts 5701

I looked at that thread and it seems like BachRules kept mouthing off after being banned.  I was impressed.

Posted on Tue, Apr 22 2014 00:13
by Shawn Gibson
Joined on Tue, Sep 23 2008, Toronto, Posts 192
I can't imagine using EW's symphonic samples unless you want someone else controlling your thoughts. I mean, it's big, huge, epic, massive, and larger than God. Always.

And their support is right up there with your mother-in-law telling you what underwear your wife likes...

However EWQLSC is awesome, simply because no one else does that.
Eternal Nube with a passion for all-things VSL.
Posted on Sat, May 24 2014 19:22
by rverne10
Joined on Tue, May 26 2009, Michigan, USA, Posts 132
musos wrote:

I have had a similar experience with the East West Choral product - Symphonic Choirs- and had to stop using it because they would not keep up with Steinberg-for Cubase 4.0- on bug fixes and updates. I was upset because there was so much promise to the software with being able to shape actual words into the mix. I loved the oohs and ahhs and other simple sounds because I found them very exhilerating. 

VSL support is vastly superior (not that there are not issues) and I always receive courteous and prompt replies. I have seen vitrolic complaints on this web site about VSL support (not from me, mind you) and many a person who said ugly things is still hanging about.

The cost of a beginning package from VSL- Special Edition Vol I and SE Vol 1 plus is $830. A comprable amount spent at EW would give you maybe what looks like more but . . . . then there is the crappy customer service which negates that. I'm not sure their orchestral sounds are equal to VSL.

Glad I took the time to go over to EW website as they now say that Steinburg has fixed the problems with Play. Cool

Cheers, Ray from Southfield, Michgan

Cubase 12, Windows 10 Installed on ‎4/‎11/‎2022
OS build 19044.1645, VE Pro (build 7.1.1329) Vienna Instruments Pro 2.0 (v 2.6.99) Universal Audio Apollo Twin, M-Audio Oxygen 88 keyboard controller, USB connection, NVIDA GeForce GTX 1600 Ti Display adapter, Intel i7-8700K CPU @3.70 GHz, 32 GB RAM Total Physical Memory
Posted on Sun, May 25 2014 05:23
by Casiquire
Joined on Sat, May 01 2010, Posts 325

My experience with VSL compared to anyone else, not just EW, is that the products themselves are of unrivaled stability upon release.  Tech support must have a lighter load by comparison.  Sure there might be some flaws as with any software but I see them so rarely, they must mostly get ironed out before release.  VSL is fantastic!  Nobody else has released such a huge quantity of consistent libraries, I'm sure they've found some kind of groove in their process by now.

Posted on Sun, Jun 01 2014 15:32
by Stephane Collin
Joined on Sun, Aug 02 2009, Posts 96

Here is my take, for what it is worth.

I've been using EWQL for a long time, and I have never been tweeking the sound, which was excellent to begin with, out of the box.

I've been switching to VSL mainly because it offers a much larger amount of detail and realism.  I must confess that I'm still working hard to find with VSL the sound that I'm after.

I can't go back to EWQL because, short of the magnificent sound, the samples look like kid toys against the VSL ones, not enough detail, not enough control, and, agreed with others, no stability, no service, etc.

Yet I still use some EWQL samples to complement the VSL ones (for example, the FF staccato bass, adorable in EWQLSO), but after years of happiness using the VI interface, it feels like pain to return to Play.

That being said, again, I'm still struggling to find a way to make VSL sound sweet warm and cosy.  Solo strings are really ok to my ears, Orchestral strings a little less, and as to dimension strings, while I adore the sound (out of the box) of bass, cellos and altos, violins do cause me trouble certainly in conjunction with MIR which makes the trouble even worse : harshness and coldness.  No eqing seems to get me where I want.  My best take uptil now is to lower the wet/dry control in MIR to -70, and to replace the tail by an algorithmic reverb chosen for its warmth.  But then, the authenticity of the MIR space is lost. 

I would really like to understand why I can't reach the quality of the best demos of dimension strings.

Best regards.

Stephane.

Stephane

PC core i7 hexa 64 gb ram
Macbook pro 6 gb ram
Motu 8M
Genelec 1030 A monitors
Adam S3X H monitors
Sennheiser HD 800 headphones
Beyerdynamic DT 880 pro headphones
Many Vienna Instruments
MIR pro
Posted on Fri, Aug 22 2014 01:37
by Vanhapolle
Joined on Wed, Apr 14 2010, Posts 89
I tested EW Symphonic Orcehstra Free. I liked sounds for some uses (mostly brass and percussion sounds,first one has something what i cannot define good way but percussion is more bright) but plsyer is very unstable,same goes for kontakt but even it still much more stable luckily vsl player software is crashed to me only 2 times if scale using times i bet PLAY number is 20 times at least. I thinked one time i upgrade it if goes working better (some people which buyed something form them gives little hope...) last time before removing stuff goed level loads sound sound and hangs whole daw! (Logic Pro 9.1.8). says something me avoid even listening EW stuff makes me really angry. And always says i dont have much memory even i think i upgraded 8gigabytes of ram and i download single sounds i talk this older play version which at least doed something...
ps. i longtime liked EW sounds or some uses. I not liked them always but found places where their stuff sounds nice based music what i heaared. i dont always liked VSL stuff but now i like more i found more suitable "classical uses". Now i must think what i want add to vsl for someuses something directly more cinematic expect i found solution few things like French Horns which has something what i dont fully like...
Posted on Fri, Aug 22 2014 23:59
by johnstaf
Joined on Thu, Apr 21 2011, EI, Posts 216

EWQL products have a great timbre, such as the lush Hollywood strings, but Play is horrible. There's very little possibility to shape the instruments, so in practice I don't find them very useful -although they can be great fun to play with.

VSL libraries provide huge flexibility, and they don't come with heavily programmed ready-made "epicness", and it takes a little work to get the best out of them. When I first got Dimension Strings I thought I'd made a terrible mistake, until I realised that hammering out violin lines on a keyboard, without any regard for the way the original instrument was played, is the same as trying to reproduce bad violin playing.

EWQL can make you feel like a passenger, whereas VSL puts you in front of the steering wheel -and sometimes you can run yourself into a wall.

Another thing in VSL's favour is Vienna Instruments -it just works.

Cubase (OS agnostic). Various VSL bits and pieces.

2 Pages<12
You cannot post new threads in this forum.
You cannot reply to threads in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.