Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
VEPRO and Apple Silicon M1
Last post Tue, Nov 29 2022 by dterry, 187 replies.
Options
Go to last post
10 Pages«<8910
Posted on Tue, Nov 22 2022 15:20
by Tomboman
Joined on Sun, Mar 01 2015, Posts 3

My guess is at least June 2023 - If it would have been any close to release a native version in the next 3 months, they would have given a timeframe.

Originally Posted by: C_Caouette Go to Quoted Post

All I want for the holiday is an Apple Silicon native VEP.   🎄

Any updates or timeframe?   

Posted on Wed, Nov 23 2022 06:11
by ariacat
Joined on Sat, May 31 2003, Posts 23

It's time VSL offer everyone unlimited free licenses to run its ancient VEP software on as many external machines as they want so that we can put all the VSL stuff on those old Intel computers we have lying around while running native M1 DAW software on our new Mac Studios. 

Posted on Wed, Nov 23 2022 21:57
by rockdude9k
Joined on Fri, Oct 05 2012, Posts 5

I really doubt that it'll be another 6+ months.  My guess would be end of year, or January.  VSL has publicly said on this forum thread that they are currently working on M1 native comparability and it will come out soon.  Or something like that, I can't find the exact post.

 

Btw I'm not saying I'm not frustrated, or that I'm not shocked that VEP is the last thing in my setup that isn't M1 compatible.  But they did say it would be soon, hopefully they actually meant it.

Posted on Fri, Nov 25 2022 05:39
by kurt
Joined on Mon, Jan 15 2007, Belgium, Posts 63

I also hope on a Christmas release. It would make life much easier. It's the only plugin for me now that is non-m1 native in my cubase template. 

Posted on Fri, Nov 25 2022 08:34
by Michael Canavan
Joined on Sun, Jun 25 2017, Posts 25

Originally Posted by: rockdude9k Go to Quoted Post

I really doubt that it'll be another 6+ months.  My guess would be end of year, or January.  VSL has publicly said on this forum thread that they are currently working on M1 native comparability and it will come out soon.  Or something like that, I can't find the exact post.

 

Btw I'm not saying I'm not frustrated, or that I'm not shocked that VEP is the last thing in my setup that isn't M1 compatible.  But they did say it would be soon, hopefully they actually meant it.

They did say that it was in beta, but the same guy from VSL who said that also thought the VST VEP plug in was already native, so take that for what it is. 

To be fair personally, I have a longer list than just VEP: Reason Rack, IK T-Racks and ARC, Audio Ease Altiverb and Speakerphone, Reaktor, Battery, half of PSP, AudioFinder etc. etc. 

 VEP just happens to be the one that holds up real progress by forcing Rosetta on the DAW to use the MAS version. 

Posted on Fri, Nov 25 2022 15:36
by ArasB
Joined on Thu, Jul 01 2021, Colorado, Posts 4

Can't wait to be able to play my instrument live without having random 100% cpu spikes.  M1 support can't come soon enough.

Posted on Tue, Nov 29 2022 23:20
by dterry
Joined on Thu, Jan 30 2003, Posts 56

Originally Posted by: ariacat Go to Quoted Post

It's time VSL offer everyone unlimited free licenses to run its ancient VEP software on as many external machines as they want so that we can put all the VSL stuff on those old Intel computers we have lying around while running native M1 DAW software on our new Mac Studios. 

I agree.  I typically try to keep my expectations from companies fair to them as well as customers, but VSL prioritizing stopping a few 14-year olds from using their software illegally (iLok), ahead of thousands of working, paying professional customers is a step too far.  I put up with iLok, but it costs users quite a bit more than it saves developers (I ran the numbers in my own case over the course of a year;  developers have no similar data and can only rely on speculation). 

It seems reasonable to suggest that VSL offer an olive branch to its paying customers.  I understand this may have been an unfortunate collision of circumstances for VSL - end of elicenser just before the release of M1s.  But I also know this has cost me many hours and late nights trying to create workarounds, with little success, as it has others.  Even if VSL releases an update next week, this situation makes me question the wisdom in relying on VEPro.  For that reason, I am very close to committing to a return to hardware audio and Midi I/O and one of several instrument hosting options to eliminate any further VEP hassles permanently.  The only obstacle there is cost.  It is much more OS/upgrade future-proof than software such as VEP. 

As much as I like VEPro, it is a risk.  Future hardware and OS updates could put us in a similar situation, and this includes Windows.  Win 11 is already a security-obsessed nightmare. 

10 Pages«<8910
You cannot post new threads in this forum.
You cannot reply to threads in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.