Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
question about tempo-synced patches (VSL Jazz Drums)
Last post Fri, Jun 25 2021 by benjohnson2001, 3 replies.
Options
Go to last post
Posted on Sat, Jun 19 2021 02:05
by benjohnson2001
Joined on Tue, Jun 15 2021, Posts 5

How does the patch "01 JD_Ride_Brushes_4-064" work? It says it's tempo-synced but if I hold down the key only 1 drum hit plays. If I play quarter notes with my project tempo set at 64 bpm then I see multiple voices being played in the advanced tab of Vienna Instruments. How can I play the quarter note pulses at 64 bpm using a single sample so it sounds natural?

Posted on Thu, Jun 24 2021 13:23
by marnix
Joined on Tue, Mar 16 2004, Vienna, Posts 1000

Hi Ben,

Generally, it is not recommended to use a single sample if it is supposed to sound natural...

The Jazz Drums were in fact designed to be loaded into Vienna Ensemble with the provided Jazz Drums projects from https://www.vsl.co.at/en/MyVSL/MyDownloads/Tutorials_Templates as described in the Jazz Drums manual, which can be found at https://www.vsl.info/en/instruments/vienna-instruments/collections#percussion

The patches in the JD_Cymbals_Brushes Matrix are actually not tempo-synched, but rather controlled by the speed you are playing. The idea behind that is that a cymbal sounds differently if it has already been hit before, depending on how long ago the last hit was. The Vienna Instruments player analyses when the last hit has occurred (i.e. the speed at which you are playing) and plays back the appropriate patch accordingly.

I hope that helps.

Best, Marnix

Posted on Fri, Jun 25 2021 08:32
by benjohnson2001
Joined on Tue, Jun 15 2021, Posts 5

Originally Posted by: marnix Go to Quoted Post
Generally, it is not recommended to use a single sample if it is supposed to sound natural...

Then why do you provide repetition samples for your instruments? It's the same principle

Originally Posted by: marnix Go to Quoted Post
The Jazz Drums were in fact designed to be loaded into Vienna Ensemble with the provided Jazz Drums projects from https://www.vsl.co.at/en...oads/Tutorials_Templates as described in the Jazz Drums manual, which can be found at https://www.vsl.info/en/...s/collections#percussion

Yes that's what I'm doing

Originally Posted by: marnix Go to Quoted Post
The patches in the JD_Cymbals_Brushes Matrix are actually not tempo-synched, but rather controlled by the speed you are playing. The idea behind that is that a cymbal sounds differently if it has already been hit before, depending on how long ago the last hit was. The Vienna Instruments player analyses when the last hit has occurred (i.e. the speed at which you are playing) and plays back the appropriate patch accordingly.

Oh okay that's disappointing, it's advertised as "4ths at 64/100 BPM, 8ths at 80/128/180 BPM"

You cannot post new threads in this forum.
You cannot reply to threads in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.