Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
string effects
Last post Thu, Nov 10 2005 by musos, 12 replies.
Options
Go to last post
Posted on Tue, Nov 08 2005 22:57
by tmhuud
Joined on Sat, Jan 01 2005, Hollywood, CA, Posts 50
Hi, does anyone know if I can do this with the strings in VSL? The idea is to do a trick called "flautando" effect in violins. They play slightly
SUL TASTO (over the fingerboard) to produce a tone that's softer and a bit
like flute (hence, "flautando.") ?

Thanks You

Tery Michael Huud
www.Music4TheMovies.com
-Terry Michael Huud
www.terryhuud.com
https://myspace.com/terryhuud (fansite)
www.imdb.com/name/nm0404698/

Interviews:

Soundtrax
http://www.music4themovies.com/pdfs/mania.pdf

The Score
http://www.music4themovies.com/pdfs/thescore.pdf

BuySoundtrax.com
http://www.music4themovies.com/pdfs/soundtrax.pdf

Camel Audio
http://www.music4themovi...com/pdfs/camel_audio.pdf


CURRENT CLIENTS/PROJECTS- Think Well - Harry Potter Attraction - Lady Ga Ga - Katy Perry - PIXAR -Disney Anaheim - DIsney HK - Steve Z.- Universal Studios
Posted on Tue, Nov 08 2005 23:40
by clarkcontrol
Joined on Mon, May 03 2004, The Pagan Underground, Posts 315
Tery,

Flautando strings are found in the symphonic ed. I don't think there is a perf_leg patch but I know that there are flautando strings in the strings package under the LONG-NOTES catagory.

Clark
Clark
Posted on Wed, Nov 09 2005 07:39
by tmhuud
Joined on Sat, Jan 01 2005, Hollywood, CA, Posts 50
Thanks Clark for such a fast reply! Got it.

-Terry
-Terry Michael Huud
www.terryhuud.com
https://myspace.com/terryhuud (fansite)
www.imdb.com/name/nm0404698/

Interviews:

Soundtrax
http://www.music4themovies.com/pdfs/mania.pdf

The Score
http://www.music4themovies.com/pdfs/thescore.pdf

BuySoundtrax.com
http://www.music4themovies.com/pdfs/soundtrax.pdf

Camel Audio
http://www.music4themovi...com/pdfs/camel_audio.pdf


CURRENT CLIENTS/PROJECTS- Think Well - Harry Potter Attraction - Lady Ga Ga - Katy Perry - PIXAR -Disney Anaheim - DIsney HK - Steve Z.- Universal Studios
Posted on Wed, Nov 09 2005 08:30
by Dietz
Joined on Tue, Aug 06 2002, Vienna / Europe, Posts 7316
If ask Michael Hula, our Artistic Director, he will most likely tell you that it was close to impossible to record this playing style, because it is so incredibly low in volume.

... needless to say that he did it, nonetheless! Smile
/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
Posted on Wed, Nov 09 2005 12:47
by rawmusic
Joined on Sat, Jul 09 2005, Bracknell, UK, Posts 247
I also have it with opus 1/2
nice effect.
If you can't say something nice...
Posted on Wed, Nov 09 2005 16:56
by jc5
Joined on Wed, Jan 26 2005, Posts 180
Dietz wrote:
If ask Michael Hula, our Artistic Director, he will most likely tell you that it was close to impossible to record this playing style, because it is so incredibly low in volume.

... needless to say that he did it, nonetheless! Smile


A marvelous job too, I find myself using those patches all the time. Smile
Posted on Wed, Nov 09 2005 18:18
by michi
Joined on Sun, Dec 22 2002, vienna, Posts 508
jc5 wrote:
Dietz wrote:
If ask Michael Hula, our Artistic Director, he will most likely tell you that it was close to impossible to record this playing style, because it is so incredibly low in volume.

... needless to say that he did it, nonetheless! Smile


A marvelous job too, I find myself using those patches all the time. Smile



thank you, guys, i really appreciate such nice comments. the biggest challenge during the flautando recordings was, to fight against the stomach noises from the players. we needed a special diet with ice-cream and other goodies. i tell you, it was pure pain [Wink]
Posted on Wed, Nov 09 2005 22:19
by DamonB
Joined on Wed, Jan 29 2003, Myrtle Beach, SC, Posts 106
Here is a Vienna demo with the flautando strings you are talking about:

http://vsl.co.at/en-us/67/3959/3813/3996/4550.vsl

Cheers,

Damon
Posted on Wed, Nov 09 2005 23:32
by Craig Sharmat
Joined on Wed, Oct 16 2002, Woodland Hills, Posts 416
michi wrote:
jc5 wrote:
Dietz wrote:
If ask Michael Hula, our Artistic Director, he will most likely tell you that it was close to impossible to record this playing style, because it is so incredibly low in volume.

... needless to say that he did it, nonetheless! Smile


A marvelous job too, I find myself using those patches all the time. Smile



thank you, guys, i really appreciate such nice comments. the biggest challenge during the flautando recordings was, to fight against the stomach noises from the players. we needed a special diet with ice-cream and other goodies. i tell you, it was pure pain [Wink]


ICE CREAM??

what if the players are lactose intolerent?
Posted on Thu, Nov 10 2005 08:52
by michi
Joined on Sun, Dec 22 2002, vienna, Posts 508
hello craig, nice to hear from you! to answer your question: this point was cleared up during the castingsessions. our musician have to play mozart's g-major concert, first movement and afterwards prove one's skill with straciatella, topfen and malaga! Cool
Posted on Thu, Nov 10 2005 23:02
by david ender
Joined on Fri, Feb 20 2004, Vienna/Austria, Posts 460
For a real rumble-free diet try mashed potatos (no roast onions to go with them, of course) [Wink]
Posted on Thu, Nov 10 2005 23:30
by musos
Joined on Sun, Dec 08 2002, Johannesburg, South Africa, Posts 912
Quote:
our musician have to play mozart's g-major concert, first movement and afterwards prove one's skill with straciatella, topfen and malaga!

Quote:
For a real rumble-free diet try mashed potatos (no roast onions to go with them, of course)


You should perhaps get them to audition by playing that famous avant-garde piece called 3 Movements for Bowels (I forget the composer....)

Maybe this thread should be re-named Sound Effects....

Regards - Colin
You cannot post new threads in this forum.
You cannot reply to threads in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.