Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
VEPRO and Apple Silicon M1
Last post Mon, Jan 30 2023 by rockdude9k, 232 replies.
Options
Go to last post
12 Pages«<101112
Posted on Thu, Jan 19 2023 02:06
by Michael Canavan
Joined on Sun, Jun 25 2017, Posts 34

  So in the last page directly above the people complaining there's been no indication of a timeline, there's a link to a guy who works for VSL saying that VEP Apple Silicon native is in beta. You can't ask for more than that really. We can guess it's anywhere from one to nine months away at this point, depending on whether they find a major bug in the beta or not. Hopefully that includes VST3 support since if someone wants to host a server on Apple Silicon Kontakt instruments aren't going to play nice outside of AU. 

Posted on Thu, Jan 19 2023 02:41
by Watercolor Music
Joined on Sun, Aug 09 2020, Posts 3

To be honest, I just hope that the plugins can be Apple Silicon native, so that I can finally stop running Cubase in Rosetta mode and take full advantage of the powerful Mac Studio. The server software itself can stay as it is, since most people I know run their sample rigs on Intel-based machines (Windows or Mac). One can dream...

I have no doubt that people at VSL are working hard on it. But I hope that they also understand why their customers are frustrated and disappointed after such a long wait. Many pros have spent a lot of money on the Mac Studios (or even the new MacBook Pros), yet we have to keep running our DAWs in Rosetta because of VE Pro.

Posted on Thu, Jan 19 2023 09:38
by santamorphic
Joined on Wed, Jun 04 2008, Posts 190

I believe it genuinely is incoming - or at least VST3 support within VEPro as Paul on this thread suggests...

https://www.vsl.co.at/community/posts/t59610-Kontakt-6-and-7

DAW Client: Cubase 12, Nuendo 12, Ableton Live 11, iMac Pro 10/20 Core, 64GB RAM
VEPro Server: Windows 10 Pro x64, 4/8 core, 256GB RAM, SSDs
Posted on Thu, Jan 19 2023 17:04
by Watercolor Music
Joined on Sun, Aug 09 2020, Posts 3

VST3 support is here. It really feels like Christmas morning here. I truly hope that it means Apple Silicon support is coming in the near future.

Posted on Thu, Jan 19 2023 17:20
by dagmarpiano
Joined on Thu, Feb 14 2008, Merseyside, UK, Posts 155

Has anyone tried running VEPRO as AU inside the Bluecat's Patchwork wrapper?  MIR3D works well here in Cubase 12 / Silicon mode that way.

18-core iMac Pro | Vienna MIR | 16" M1 MacBook Pro

Trailer music publisher: https://gothic-storm.com
Posted on Thu, Jan 19 2023 19:14
by Michael Canavan
Joined on Sun, Jun 25 2017, Posts 34

Originally Posted by: Watercolor Music Go to Quoted Post

VST3 support is here. It really feels like Christmas morning here. I truly hope that it means Apple Silicon support is coming in the near future.

Not seeing this anywhere. 

Posted on Fri, Jan 20 2023 00:58
by Dan Wool
Joined on Wed, Jun 17 2015, San Francisco, Posts 36
Originally Posted by: Michael Canavan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Watercolor Music Go to Quoted Post

VST3 support is here. It really feels like Christmas morning here. I truly hope that it means Apple Silicon support is coming in the near future.

Not seeing this anywhere.
If you mean confirmation of VST3 support, it’s here: https://www.vsl.co.at/co...t-in-VE-Pro-7#post314608

Posted on Fri, Jan 20 2023 01:53
by Michael Canavan
Joined on Sun, Jun 25 2017, Posts 34

Originally Posted by: Dan Wool Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Michael Canavan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Watercolor Music Go to Quoted Post
VST3 support is here. It really feels like Christmas morning here. I truly hope that it means Apple Silicon support is coming in the near future.
Not seeing this anywhere.
If you mean confirmation of VST3 support, it’s here: https://www.vsl.co.at/co...t-in-VE-Pro-7#post314608

Thanks Dan, that's great! Supposedly VST3 is better at releasing CPU back to the host so over the years here it should be a better choice for plug ins in VEP servers. Plus it means VSL are done mucking with it and can get busy on putting the Apple Silicon beta through it's paces. My and I imagine your big fear, is they do not port the MAS version, so I wait with baited breath. 

Posted on Mon, Jan 23 2023 13:23
by Sergievsky
Joined on Sat, Oct 08 2011, Posts 6

I think I'm ready to spend all my money on a maxed out M2Max MBPro 16", maybe in a month or so. Which means I'll be checking in here quite a bit also  And yes, begging for a MAS version  That laptop and my current iMac Pro as a slave should be all I need forever and ever  . Ok, maybe I'll wait til March to check back in here. 

Posted on Sat, Jan 28 2023 00:05
by dragsquares
Joined on Sat, Aug 13 2005, Austin, TX, Posts 80

It's my understanding that the reason VEPro works is low-level code, directly addressing hardware - which when it was originally written was Intel.  Now that Apple Silicon is here, and it's a completely different hardware platform and architecture, it's got to be like writing the whole thing from zero.  Maybe the M-series CPU's don't deal with these direct calls as well.  That's all beyond me.  But I think of this like a team of developers writing an entirely new app that has the goal of enterprise-level reliability and the greatest efficiency and speed possible.  How long would one say that should take?  Especially if they have other things that people are clamoring for.

Some folks are acting like the folks at Vienna don't care about users' feelings about this.  Of course they do.  But they can't do anything about those big feelings except put out the best product they can, and for our part we can maybe not act like our feelings trump reality.

Richard F.W. Davis
Composer, Producer, Arranger

VSL, VEP, OT BS, AM/SM, CSS/CSSS, SSO, 8Dio, NI, JFK, KFC, JFC, WYD?, MTBF, TL;DR
_______________________________________________
I am a firm believer in substantiating one’s posts to reduce internet traffic. If one doesn’t have time for evidence, one doesn’t have time for opinion.
Posted on Sun, Jan 29 2023 01:29
by Michael Canavan
Joined on Sun, Jun 25 2017, Posts 34

Originally Posted by: dragsquares Go to Quoted Post

It's my understanding that the reason VEPro works is low-level code, directly addressing hardware - which when it was originally written was Intel.  Now that Apple Silicon is here, and it's a completely different hardware platform and architecture, it's got to be like writing the whole thing from zero.  Maybe the M-series CPU's don't deal with these direct calls as well.  That's all beyond me.  But I think of this like a team of developers writing an entirely new app that has the goal of enterprise-level reliability and the greatest efficiency and speed possible.  How long would one say that should take?  Especially if they have other things that people are clamoring for.

Some folks are acting like the folks at Vienna don't care about users' feelings about this.  Of course they do.  But they can't do anything about those big feelings except put out the best product they can, and for our part we can maybe not act like our feelings trump reality.

The problem here is conjecture. You're just as guilty of it as anyone who thinks that VSL don't have good reasons to have put Apple Silicon first in terms of support. You do not know why and neither do we.

 

One thing, IMO it's a travesty and poor business move that they did not release Apple silicon native versions of the VST, MAS, and AU VEP plug in at the least. This wouldn't require low level code etc. and would make it possible for Cubase users to actually use their DAW along with an Intel PC or Mac server, or even VEP in Rosetta using the native VST in Cubase. I can't think of a rational excuse this didn't happen. 

Posted on Mon, Jan 30 2023 23:43
by rockdude9k
Joined on Fri, Oct 05 2012, Posts 8

Originally Posted by: Michael Canavan Go to Quoted Post

One thing, IMO it's a travesty and poor business move that they did not release Apple silicon native versions of the VST, MAS, and AU VEP plug in at the least. This wouldn't require low level code etc. and would make it possible for Cubase users to actually use their DAW along with an Intel PC or Mac server, or even VEP in Rosetta using the native VST in Cubase. I can't think of a rational excuse this didn't happen. 

 

 

I agree, I just need the bridge plug-in.  Nothing else.  VSL can take all the time they want to make the server application M1 Native as far as I'm concerned.  Although, I understand other people need that more than I do.  But I feel like people would be more forgiving if they released the bridge plugin and then said, okay it's gonna be another 6 months for us to re-code the server application.  At least then, we would have a work around.

12 Pages«<101112
You cannot post new threads in this forum.
You cannot reply to threads in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.