Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
Feature Request: Decoupled Re-Connection
Last post Mon, Jan 04 2021 by Paul, 6 replies.
Options
Go to last post
Posted on Sat, Jan 02 2021 02:08
by Crescendo
Joined on Wed, Jul 16 2008, Posts 45

VEP crashes on my machine frequently.
Even with saving projects all the time both in coupled and de-coupled mode I end up in a situation where I have to manually re-connect instances from within Logic Pro to VEP. This is very tiring with over 30 VEP instances.

It would be nice if there was a feature that could scan for the broken connections and upon matching instance names/patch names it re-connects disconnected instances.

Would that be a possibility?

Another thought could be if it was possible to isolate instances containing hanging or crashing plugins and offer a chance to re-start/reload the offending instance without killing the entire VEP session?

Posted on Sat, Jan 02 2021 15:42
by civilization 3
Joined on Sat, May 16 2009, SF Bay Area, Posts 1764

Running decoupled and preserved allows you to reload any instance in your Server Project while connected, affecting no other instance nor your DAW project (unless there is something else wrong).
I would actually recommend not going back and forth, not seeing a real upside to running coupled with 30 instances

MacBook Pro 16,1: 2.3 GHz 8-core i9
64GB 2667MHz DDR4
OSX 10.15.6
VE Pro 7, Cubase Pro 11.0.20
Posted on Sat, Jan 02 2021 17:18
by Crescendo

Sure, so far the theory. In practice however, there are plenty of times when after a crash all the instances have to be re-connected manually. And yes, my instances are always set to "preserved".

Then it would be nice to have a button that helps finding lost connections.

Posted on Sun, Jan 03 2021 11:48
by Paul
Joined on Sat, Aug 03 2002, Vienna, Posts 12626

Hi, 

Thanks for the input - that's added to our wishlist now. 

What exactly makes your VE Pro crash so often?

Best,
Paul

Paul Kopf
Product Manager - Vienna Symphonic Library
Posted on Mon, Jan 04 2021 03:53
by Crescendo

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

Tracking down these crashes is tricky as the crash reports do not reveal enough detail. All I know it is Kontakt after sitting idle for two or three days. It appears that during that time eventually the CPU meter within Kontakt turns red and hits 100% (this must be the result of a CPU leak) and that causes Kontakt to freeze. Everything then has to be force quit and the usual crash report appears. Some months ago I already had an exchange with VSL support about that (I i sent in in crash reports). Since then I moved from a Mac Pro 2013 to a Mac Pro 2019, from Mojave to Catalina and the same issue happens on the new machine. Needless to say I keep Logic, Kontakt and VEP updated.

The "wishlist" makes me curious. Do items on this list have a realistic chance to become reality?

Posted on Mon, Jan 04 2021 16:15
by Paul
Joined on Sat, Aug 03 2002, Vienna, Posts 12626

Hi Crescendo, 

Thanks for the description, that makes sense, and I know that Kontakt can be very tricky this way. 

We're updating our wishlist all the time and keep track of user wishes - and then it's a combination of urgency and programming effort that  determines the next steps. 

This request, for example, is the first one for such a feature in the 10 years of Vienna Ensemble Pro, but it could fit in well with other network improvements. Sorry that I can't give you an ETA.

Best,
Paul

Paul Kopf
Product Manager - Vienna Symphonic Library