Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
VE Pro 7 and Epic Orchestra 2.0
Last post Wed, May 08 2019 by musicman691, 435 replies.
Options
Go to last post
22 Pages«<7891011>»
Posted on Thu, Feb 28 2019 19:36
by littlewierdo
Joined on Sun, Apr 24 2016, Posts 213

I am not defending VSL, nor am I defending Paul. I am simply explaining, that this is not the world is ending scenario it is being painted out to be.

Is the upgrade expensive? If you are upgrading 3 licenses, sure. To be specific, not referring to special sales, I am going to use the pricing when it goes to a normal price, it will be 95 for the first, and 65 for the 2 subsequent upgrades. That is 225 Euros total. Ensemble 6 is currently 285 euros for the same three licenses. The upgrade is 79% of the cost of 6, if you are upgrading 3 licenses at full price.

However, I am guessing most people dont need to upgrade three licenses.

So yes, the upgrade is expensive, but it isnt the same price as Ensemble 6, and most users are probably not upgrading 3 licenses.

In addition, Vienna is pretty generous about putting their software on sale. My guess is, Ensemble will be made available both on launch and several times throughout the year, so you wont have to wait long to purchase VEP7 at a discount.

If anyone should be upset, it should be me. I literally just purchased VEP6 in December 2018. I get no special discount. Vienna isnt providing any sort of grace period.

The reality however is, Vienna has found themself in an impossible situation because they priced Ensemble 6 in a terrible way by not allowing people to purchase 1 license at a time. They are attempting to fix this. Is the cost too high for new users for a single license for VEP7? In my opinion, yes. Is the non-sale price for the VEP7 upgrade too expensive? It depends on how many licenses you need. For those that only need 1 or 2, its a good deal in my opinion. If you need more, its not so much. However, this is because VEP6 is sold as 3 licenses, so for people like myself, we see the price of VEP6 as $285, because that is how much VEP6 costs, whether you need 1 license, 2 licenses, or 3 licenses. Either way, its $285.

The bottom line is simple. Wait until they announce more details before you buy. And guess what, Id bet my VEP7 license on Vienna putting VEP7 on sale when it launches, and several more times during the course of the year. You wont be paying the standard pricing, unless you arent paying attention to when this thing releases and you cant wait to buy it if you miss the launch.

Posted on Thu, Feb 28 2019 21:07
by Dewdman42
Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2018, Posts 363

Originally Posted by: littlewierdo Go to Quoted Post

However, I am guessing most people dont need to upgrade three licenses.

That is irrelevant.  We bought a 3 machine product.  It is now being downgraded unless we want to pay substantially more.  

Quote:

So yes, the upgrade is expensive, but it isnt the same price as Ensemble 6, and most users are probably not upgrading 3 licenses.

Right, so VSL will be downgrading them, even though they originally purhased a product that would work on 3 machines, now they will feel compelled to be downgraded to a much more limited capacity.  In my view, the base product should include at least one local and one remote server license.

Quote:

If anyone should be upset, it should be me. I literally just purchased VEP6 in December 2018. I get no special discount. Vienna isnt providing any sort of grace period.

Yes you should be. 

Quote:

The reality however is, Vienna has found themself in an impossible situation because they priced Ensemble 6 in a terrible way by not allowing people to purchase 1 license at a time. They are attempting to fix this.

That is not intellectually honest.  They are providing new purchasers with an opportunity to get in for a bit less with one license option, and I do think that is a good idea.  But existing customers that already purchased a more expensive 3 machine product are being punished.  They do not need to make it more expensive for existing customers while getting new customers in cheaper then ever.  There are plenty of ways they could "fix" the problem you surmised without doing the latter.

 

Quote:

The bottom line is simple. Wait until they announce more details before you buy. 

At a bare minimum all upgraders should at least wait to see.  All we konw as of now is that it will have FX added.  Me personally, even to justify $85 for one license I would need to see substantial improvements to the product.  But the simple truth is that I am being asked to pay money for something, that as far as we know has FX added, and we are expected to lose multi-machine networking unless we want to pay kind of a tidy sum...for as yet unannounced features.  As I have said, if VSL comes out with some breakthrough new thing that is so incredibly amazing that I can't imagine not paying another $250 for it... ($500 total in one year's time)...they will probably get my money...but I really am not expecting that.  I am expecting a few little things updated + FX...and unelss I want to pay through the nose.....LOSS of functionality in terms of networking a few extra machines in a pinch.  I will gladly stick with VEP6 and wait for VEP8 someday to reconsider.

5,1 MacPro 12core X 3.46ghz, 128gb ram, RX580 video, OSX Mojave, VSL (almost everything), LogicPro, Cubase10, StudioOne, DP9, Reaper, Dorico, Finale, MuseScore, Notion6, EW Hollywood Orch, Kirk Hunter, GPO, much more..
Posted on Thu, Feb 28 2019 21:24
by pablo1980
Joined on Tue, Jul 10 2012, Posts 18

Originally Posted by: Dewdman42 Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: littlewierdo Go to Quoted Post

However, I am guessing most people dont need to upgrade three licenses.

That is irrelevant.  We bought a 3 machine product.  It is now being downgraded unless we want to pay substantially more.  

Quote:

So yes, the upgrade is expensive, but it isnt the same price as Ensemble 6, and most users are probably not upgrading 3 licenses.

Right, so VSL will be downgrading them, even though they originally purhased a product that would work on 3 machines, now they will feel compelled to be downgraded to a much more limited capacity.  In my view, the base product should include at least one local and one remote server license.

Quote:

If anyone should be upset, it should be me. I literally just purchased VEP6 in December 2018. I get no special discount. Vienna isnt providing any sort of grace period.

Yes you should be. 

Quote:

The reality however is, Vienna has found themself in an impossible situation because they priced Ensemble 6 in a terrible way by not allowing people to purchase 1 license at a time. They are attempting to fix this.

That is not intellectually honest.  They are providing new purchasers with an opportunity to get in for a bit less with one license option, and I do think that is a good idea.  But existing customers that already purchased a more expensive 3 machine product are being punished.  They do not need to make it more expensive for existing customers while getting new customers in cheaper then ever.  There are plenty of ways they could "fix" the problem you surmised without doing the latter.

 

Quote:

The bottom line is simple. Wait until they announce more details before you buy. 

At a bare minimum all upgraders should at least wait to see.  All we konw as of now is that it will have FX added.  Me personally, even to justify $85 for one license I would need to see substantial improvements to the product.  But the simple truth is that I am being asked to pay money for something, that as far as we know has FX added, and we are expected to lose multi-machine networking unless we want to pay kind of a tidy sum...for as yet unannounced features.  As I have said, if VSL comes out with some breakthrough new thing that is so incredibly amazing that I can't imagine not paying another $250 for it... ($500 total in one year's time)...they will probably get my money...but I really am not expecting that.  I am expecting a few little things updated + FX...and unelss I want to pay through the nose.....LOSS of functionality in terms of networking a few extra machines in a pinch.  I will gladly stick with VEP6 and wait for VEP8 someday to reconsider.

 

Very well put, @vsl would you care to adress these points?

Posted on Thu, Feb 28 2019 22:06
by TabSel
Joined on Thu, Jun 30 2011, Posts 96

maybe the plugins that communicate with the servers (which are free) will get different IDs so that you can use these with your VEP6, while "new" client plugs will connect to VEP7 upwards.

In this case you wont have to alter any of your projects, wont lose any license and get additional license(s) for VEP7...

Posted on Thu, Feb 28 2019 22:17
by Dewdman42
Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2018, Posts 363

I believe Paul has stated that VEP6 and VEP7 will not be compatible and unable to communicate with each other.  I would hazzard a guess, that projects with VEP6 plugin will open in your DAW and load the VEP7 plugin..its probably named the same...so you can't really have both installed at the same time.  use one or the other, not both together.

5,1 MacPro 12core X 3.46ghz, 128gb ram, RX580 video, OSX Mojave, VSL (almost everything), LogicPro, Cubase10, StudioOne, DP9, Reaper, Dorico, Finale, MuseScore, Notion6, EW Hollywood Orch, Kirk Hunter, GPO, much more..
Posted on Thu, Feb 28 2019 22:19
by Dewdman42
Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2018, Posts 363

I suppose you might be able to load VEP6 plugin inside a subhost such as patchworks or plogue bidule, while using VEP7 plugin directly in the DAW..and maybe get around that limitation that way?  Don't know, no garantees that the two won't stomp all over each other in networking or other stuff..  But anyway, if the above worked, then perhaps you could run one VEP7 server and three more VEP6 servers...  hypothetically...

5,1 MacPro 12core X 3.46ghz, 128gb ram, RX580 video, OSX Mojave, VSL (almost everything), LogicPro, Cubase10, StudioOne, DP9, Reaper, Dorico, Finale, MuseScore, Notion6, EW Hollywood Orch, Kirk Hunter, GPO, much more..
Posted on Thu, Feb 28 2019 22:21
by bbelius
Joined on Sat, Mar 14 2015, Posts 544

VEPro 6 and 7 will not communicate together (confimed by Paul). But I think it will still be possible run them side by side.

Ben
Technical Support - Vienna Symphonic Library
Posted on Fri, Mar 01 2019 04:11
by littlewierdo
Joined on Sun, Apr 24 2016, Posts 213

Originally Posted by: Dewdman42 Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: littlewierdo Go to Quoted Post

However, I am guessing most people dont need to upgrade three licenses.

That is irrelevant.  We bought a 3 machine product.  It is now being downgraded unless we want to pay substantially more.  

Quote:

So yes, the upgrade is expensive, but it isnt the same price as Ensemble 6, and most users are probably not upgrading 3 licenses.

Right, so VSL will be downgrading them, even though they originally purhased a product that would work on 3 machines, now they will feel compelled to be downgraded to a much more limited capacity.  In my view, the base product should include at least one local and one remote server license.

Quote:

If anyone should be upset, it should be me. I literally just purchased VEP6 in December 2018. I get no special discount. Vienna isnt providing any sort of grace period.

Yes you should be. 

Quote:

The reality however is, Vienna has found themself in an impossible situation because they priced Ensemble 6 in a terrible way by not allowing people to purchase 1 license at a time. They are attempting to fix this.

That is not intellectually honest.  They are providing new purchasers with an opportunity to get in for a bit less with one license option, and I do think that is a good idea.  But existing customers that already purchased a more expensive 3 machine product are being punished.  They do not need to make it more expensive for existing customers while getting new customers in cheaper then ever.  There are plenty of ways they could "fix" the problem you surmised without doing the latter.

 

Quote:

The bottom line is simple. Wait until they announce more details before you buy. 

At a bare minimum all upgraders should at least wait to see.  All we konw as of now is that it will have FX added.  Me personally, even to justify $85 for one license I would need to see substantial improvements to the product.  But the simple truth is that I am being asked to pay money for something, that as far as we know has FX added, and we are expected to lose multi-machine networking unless we want to pay kind of a tidy sum...for as yet unannounced features.  As I have said, if VSL comes out with some breakthrough new thing that is so incredibly amazing that I can't imagine not paying another $250 for it... ($500 total in one year's time)...they will probably get my money...but I really am not expecting that.  I am expecting a few little things updated + FX...and unelss I want to pay through the nose.....LOSS of functionality in terms of networking a few extra machines in a pinch.  I will gladly stick with VEP6 and wait for VEP8 someday to reconsider.

1. You use the word "downgrade", meaning, you will be getting less than what you have now. That is simply not true. Nothing is going to change. You keep your VEP6 licenses, even if you do upgrade. You arent being downgraded, nor are you being forced to upgrade.

2. Vienna is not reducing the amount of machines you can use. You can continue to use VEP6 until you are ready to upgrade to VEP7.

3. Yes, they are charging money to upgrade, just as most software suites do for major software versions. Is it a little expensive? Yes. However, of course, you fail to even acknowledge the point I made several times, VEP7 will go on sale several times during the year, including when it launches. You wont be paying the retail price.

4. I am a little miffed, but not enough to come on here and scream about it. It is an expense, one that Id rather not pay, but one that I am not too concerned about. I have bigger issues with Vienna than a charged software update (I have Smart Speheres that I currently cant use because it has a feedback issue and I dont have the free time to sit down and try to track down which sounds / effects cause the feedback issue, or, I could discuss how VI, MIR, and Vsuite are all seemingly going to become obsoleted because Synchron seems to be the only thing Vienna wants to support, meanwhile, several of their libraries are woefully dated, solo string instruments lack vibrato controls, the choirs are lacking severely in articulations, etc.)

5. No one knows about whether VEP6 and VEP7 will communicate with each other. That is an assumption being made. However, nothing is stopping you from CONTINUING TO USE VEP6 ACROSS THE BOARD! Nothing is changing. Vienna isnt saying, VEP6 will stop working when VEP7 comes out. The release of VEP7 means that VEP6 will eventually no longer be supported and end of lifed, but not before youve had ample opportunity to pay for the update, and before VEP6 is obsoleted, VEP7 will have gone on sale numerous times, giving you ample opportunity to upgrade.

The bottom line is, its a paid software upgrade. One I think we can all agree, is a bit pricey, but not out of this world pricey, unless you are upgrading 10 licenses, then I will admit, this is pretty pricey.

Posted on Fri, Mar 01 2019 06:17
by steff3
Joined on Thu, Nov 13 2003, Posts 268
Originally Posted by: littlewierdo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Dewdman42 Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: littlewierdo Go to Quoted Post

However, I am guessing most people dont need to upgrade three licenses.

That is irrelevant. We bought a 3 machine product. It is now being downgraded unless we want to pay substantially more.
Quote:

So yes, the upgrade is expensive, but it isnt the same price as Ensemble 6, and most users are probably not upgrading 3 licenses.

Right, so VSL will be downgrading them, even though they originally purhased a product that would work on 3 machines, now they will feel compelled to be downgraded to a much more limited capacity. In my view, the base product should include at least one local and one remote server license.
Quote:

If anyone should be upset, it should be me. I literally just purchased VEP6 in December 2018. I get no special discount. Vienna isnt providing any sort of grace period.

Yes you should be.
Quote:

The reality however is, Vienna has found themself in an impossible situation because they priced Ensemble 6 in a terrible way by not allowing people to purchase 1 license at a time. They are attempting to fix this.

That is not intellectually honest. They are providing new purchasers with an opportunity to get in for a bit less with one license option, and I do think that is a good idea. But existing customers that already purchased a more expensive 3 machine product are being punished. They do not need to make it more expensive for existing customers while getting new customers in cheaper thenever. There are plenty of ways they could "fix" the problem you surmised without doing the latter.

Quote:

The bottom line is simple. Wait until they announce more details before you buy.

At a bare minimum all upgraders should at least wait to see. All we konw as of now is that it will have FX added. Me personally, even to justify $85 for one license I would need to see substantial improvements to the product. But the simple truth is that I am being asked to pay money for something, that as far as we know has FX added, and we are expected to lose multi-machine networking unless we want to pay kind of a tidy sum...for as yet unannounced features. As I have said, if VSL comes out with some breakthrough new thing that is so incredibly amazing that I can't imagine not paying another $250 for it... ($500 total in one year's time)...they will probably get my money...but I really am not expecting that. I am expecting a few little things updated + FX...and unelss I want to pay through the nose.....LOSS of functionality in terms of networking a few extra machines in a pinch. I will gladly stick with VEP6 and wait for VEP8 someday to reconsider.

1. You use the word "downgrade", meaning, you will be getting less than what you have now. That is simply not true. Nothing is going to change. You keep your VEP6 licenses, even if you do upgrade. You arent being downgraded, nor are you being forced to upgrade.
2. Vienna is not reducing the amount of machines you can use. You can continue to use VEP6 until you are ready to upgrade to VEP7.
3. Yes, they are charging money to upgrade, just as most software suites do for major software versions. Is it a little expensive? Yes. However, of course, you fail to even acknowledge the point I made several times, VEP7 will go on sale several times during the year, including when it launches. You wont be paying the retail price.
4. I am a little miffed, but not enough to come on here and scream about it. It is an expense, one that Id rather not pay, but one that I am not too concerned about. I have bigger issues with Vienna than a charged software update (I have Smart Speheres that I currently cant use because it has a feedback issue and I dont have the free time to sit down and try to track down which sounds / effects cause the feedback issue, or, I could discuss how VI, MIR, and Vsuite are all seemingly going to become obsoleted because Synchron seems to be the only thing Vienna wants to support, meanwhile, several of their libraries are woefully dated, solo string instruments lack vibrato controls, the choirs are lacking severely in articulations, etc.)
5. No one knows about whether VEP6 and VEP7 will communicate with each other. That is an assumption being made. However, nothing is stopping you from CONTINUING TO USE VEP6 ACROSS THE BOARD! Nothing is changing. Vienna isnt saying, VEP6 will stop working when VEP7 comes out. The release of VEP7 means that VEP6 will eventually no longer be supported and end of lifed, but not before youve had ample opportunity to pay for the update, and before VEP6 is obsoleted, VEP7 will have gone on sale numerous times, giving you ample opportunity to upgrade.
The bottom line is, its a paid software upgrade. One I think we can all agree, is a bit pricey, but not out of this world pricey, unless you are upgrading 10 licenses, then I will admit, this is pretty pricey.


Well, telling customers that the update is about as expensive as full price of the product they payed before seems always critical - telling them they get some fx code and samples they already might have and payed for in another variant ( libraries and Vienna fx and fx pro) as a great new feature might not make it seem a better offer.
And those customers might not care about Steinberg update policies, or Apple policies (as they also know what they get for 200€ with Logic Pro on the other hand).
And they bought VEP as a solution and do not want to spend time on how one can or cannot hack a system to that VEP6 and VEP7 might work together because some want to tell them this is still the best deal ...
And there is no logical reason why VSL cannot (of course they do not have to) offer single licenses AND an attractive update for 3 licenses holders. This does not seem to be a contradiction. Of course, VSL is free to choose their pricing and marketing methods and strategies ... but customers are as free ...
I wanred ro keep out of this discussion because it leads no where - it does just seem to generates non-sense arguments IMHO ... oh well ...
Posted on Fri, Mar 01 2019 06:58
by bcslaam
Joined on Thu, Dec 03 2009, Western Australia, Posts 39

I too am very annoyed with the license downgrade or double the price. And wont upgrade until I see their cards on the table. It better be good!, VST3 and AU3 - hello! Better audio FX insert workflow, network, cpu efficiency.

Describing it as if "you lose nothing just keep using v6 in addition" is just dressing it up BS and insulting our intelligence. Yes I could still use win98se with the software from back then but I actually dont have a choice in terms of running a business.

We know for SURE you cant connect v6 slave to a v7 host or vice versa. It is confirmed! Period!

They are stopping development of 6 - that will eventually become bugy and left in the dirt as OSs and plugins move on, needing the latest.

This is a server/farm based product! I will eat my hat if there are more users who use just one pc or even 2 and will NEVER need that extra license. The 3 licence core product of previous is a good and natural feature for such a product.

Mediocre FX (that wont work on anything but inside VSL products) and a generic sample library are a bit of an insult really.

Actually there IS a competing product. Reaper with Reamote or Reastream. This upgrade and the way they are trying to BS us and avoid the real truth in the marketing along with a big step up in expense and future new high level of pricing that will continue to hike is making me look closer at Reamote. VSL now remind me of AVID! Trying hard to hold on to their overly expanded infrastructure by scewing their users! I left AVID for Reaper.

I vote for granfathering the 3 licenses accross and wont upgrade until THEY treat us with respect.

Win 10 pro 64bit, RME Digiiface PCIe version/Fireface 800/LavryADDA/Hammerfall HDSP/Sonic Core Scope Cards
i7 32GBRAM, Asrock X79 Extreme 6, 120GB SSD OS, intel pro1000 network cards, 2 satelite core2duo/8GB VE DSP farms, 1 Lenovo T440 i7 4770/16GB/MOTU Traveller VE DSP farm/Live Rig.
Reaper, Ableton Live, Protools 11HD/12 vanilla, Brainspawn Forte, VEP5, Komplete 9, SD2, S-Gear, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Diamond. www.benchase.com.au
Posted on Fri, Mar 01 2019 09:59
by littlewierdo
Joined on Sun, Apr 24 2016, Posts 213

Ensemble is more than just networking, it is also a nice host for gathering all those pesky VST windows like Kontakt, Play, Omnisphere, etc into one place. I will also add, its a nice simple mixer with very convenient routing options. The Pro version also has convenient ways of keeping channels organized and is lighter on the CPU than its free counterpart. Whether the majority of people purchased Ensemble Pro only for its network hosting of VST plugins, I cant say, but it wasnt one of the reasons I purchased a license for it.

By the way, I never said keep using your VEP6 license indefinitely. I said, keep using your VEP6 license and upgrade when VEP7 goes on sale. Everyone is using the "when it isnt on sale" prices to suggest that this way to expensive, I am saying, if you are buying anything from Vienna when it isnt on sale, you are throwing money away, because everything Vienna sells is discounted several times during the course of the year. Buy the upgrade when it goes on sale.

By the way, Reaper has some of this functionality, however, there is talk of removing the Reamote code from Reaper.

Oh, and with regards to 'treating you with respect', that is a laugh. Nothing they have done here has been disrespectful. In fact, quite the contrary, they have announced a new version is coming and the pricing. They arent ready to announce features. They never made fun of your mother. They didnt insult you. They didnt accuse your father of smelling of elder berries. They simply announced a new version and pricing.

On the other hand, reading the comments in the thread here, the community has done the opposite. Paul has been blamed for this, and Im pretty sure the poor guy is merely the messenger. Someone in a smoke filled dusty room said, we have a new thing, go tell the masses. I dont think anyone at Vienna expected this kind of blowback. They have a new thing, they are excited about it. They underestimated the fact that people arent happy to pay money sight unseen. The guys in the smoke filled room clearly think this thing is awesome and worth the price of admission, however, they arent ready to spill the beans. Its really hard to get someone hyped about something if you cant tell them what to be hyped for. I only hope this is a lesson Vienna has learned, because especially when it comes to paid software upgrades that are pretty much required, no one is thrilled about them. Add the additional question of, is this a paid upgrade for the sake of Vienna trying to make money without providing anything in return and it tends to make people feel nickled and dimed.

I am not a fanboy for Vienna. The upgrade is a bit pricey, but it will go on sale. If you pay sticker price, you are a fool and no, your shit aint going to break before youve had ample time to purchase the upgrade when its already been on sale numerous times.

Posted on Fri, Mar 01 2019 11:19
by PaoloT
Joined on Tue, Dec 27 2016, Posts 473

A solution for the cost of the three licenses could be this:

- Sell the basic one-machine license as is.
- Sell the individual additional licenses as they are.
- Sell a package of three licenses at a discounted price.

Paolo

Posted on Fri, Mar 01 2019 11:41
by javajam
Joined on Sun, Mar 13 2005, Paris, France, Posts 150

Originally Posted by: littlewierdo Go to Quoted Post

1. You use the word "downgrade", meaning, you will be getting less than what you have now. That is simply not true. Nothing is going to change. You keep your VEP6 licenses, even if you do upgrade. You arent being downgraded, nor are you being forced to upgrade.

Why playing with words?
- If you upgrade to 7, there's a 'downgrade' regarding the number of licenses.
- 6 & 7 can't coexist. There's no version number on software and if I remember well, I installed 5 while having 6 once and I guess it uninstalled 6 (to be verified).
- If you upgrade to 7 and wish to keep your number of licenses as you say, you have to avoid installing 7 so as to use 6. Why upgrading to 7 then?

BTW we should remember the Synchron Player story. How long did it take to get the player after Synchron Strings release? Months. Speaking for myself, hopefully I didn't use the SYstrings in my work before getting the player. I know people who did and are stuck to keep both banks now (VI & SYplayer) on their harddrives. Who was aware of this (bank uncompatibility from VI to SY)? Nobody, thanks to VSL.

The launching at that time was about a 'revolutionnary' orchestral bank first and the player had been announced later. It's different yet with VEpro7, everyone can have a look to he main page:
> Product Overview > Software > NEW: Vienna Ensemble Pro 7
Consider that the staff can't even give a single info about the announced product yet which looks weird at least...

Speaking for myself and starting from my experience with SYstrings & SYplayer, the fake promises and the lack of clear and fair preliminary infos and details, I know exactly what I'll do for now: nothing.

Posted on Fri, Mar 01 2019 12:05
by THoffelt
Joined on Tue, May 17 2005, Posts 35

Hi Paul,

Can you please confirm the underlying functionality with respect to the possibility of different VEPro versions existing on the host DAW computer at the same time?

It's not clear from the previous posts on this forum, but is it a technical impossibility for v6 and v7 to exist on the host DAW at the same time?

Hypothetically, if a user is using 10 slave PCs at the same time.  Can they purchase one license for v7 and upgrade one of those slave PCs to v7, leaving the others at v6?  And then within the DAW have nine v6 and one v7 VEPro tracks that would connect to the respective slave PCs?

Or is the user restricted to have only v6 or v7 at one given time available to use within the host DAW?

Thanks, Tim

Posted on Fri, Mar 01 2019 12:42
by musicman691
Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2012, NJ USA, Posts 131

Originally Posted by: javajam Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: littlewierdo Go to Quoted Post

1. You use the word "downgrade", meaning, you will be getting less than what you have now. That is simply not true. Nothing is going to change. You keep your VEP6 licenses, even if you do upgrade. You arent being downgraded, nor are you being forced to upgrade.

Why playing with words?
- If you upgrade to 7, there's a 'downgrade' regarding the number of licenses.
- 6 & 7 can't coexist. There's no version number on software and if I remember well, I installed 5 while having 6 once and I guess it uninstalled 6 (to be verified).
- If you upgrade to 7 and wish to keep your number of licenses as you say, you have to avoid installing 7 so as to use 6. Why upgrading to 7 then?

BTW we should remember the Synchron Player story. How long did it take to get the player after Synchron Strings release? Months. Speaking for myself, hopefully I didn't use the SYstrings in my work before getting the player. I know people who did and are stuck to keep both banks now (VI & SYplayer) on their harddrives. Who was aware of this (bank uncompatibility from VI to SY)? Nobody, thanks to VSL.

The launching at that time was about a 'revolutionnary' orchestral bank first and the player had been announced later. It's different yet with VEpro7, everyone can have a look to he main page:
> Product Overview > Software > NEW: Vienna Ensemble Pro 7
Consider that the staff can't even give a single info about the announced product yet which looks weird at least...

Speaking for myself and starting from my experience with SYstrings & SYplayer, the fake promises and the lack of clear and fair preliminary infos and details, I know exactly what I'll do for now: nothing.

I remember well the Synchron story and it's a sad reminder of how Vienna operates. As I wrote earlier I think this is a money grab because they're short on funds. Just like East West did when they announced the ProXP entension of their originl EWQLSO Symphony libraries. Took our money and the ProXP upgrade didn't show until well over a year later.

 

As to VEPro 6 and 7 coexisting on the same computer it may well be possible, at least on a Mac. With Digital Performer if you want to have different versions (even whole number ones) you just rename the existing installed program. But seeing as how Paul is reticent on discussing the finer parts of this 'upgrade' all we're left with is speculation and that ain't good.

Jack
PT 2019.6 on OSX 10.13.6
PT 11.3.2 on OSX 10.10.5
DP9.02 on OSX 10.13.6
Qapla!
Posted on Fri, Mar 01 2019 12:47
by pablo1980
Joined on Tue, Jul 10 2012, Posts 18

Originally Posted by: littlewierdo Go to Quoted Post

Ensemble is more than just networking, it is also a nice host for gathering all those pesky VST windows like Kontakt, Play, Omnisphere, etc into one place. I will also add, its a nice simple mixer with very convenient routing options. The Pro version also has convenient ways of keeping channels organized and is lighter on the CPU than its free counterpart. Whether the majority of people purchased Ensemble Pro only for its network hosting of VST plugins, I cant say, but it wasnt one of the reasons I purchased a license for it.

By the way, I never said keep using your VEP6 license indefinitely. I said, keep using your VEP6 license and upgrade when VEP7 goes on sale. Everyone is using the "when it isnt on sale" prices to suggest that this way to expensive, I am saying, if you are buying anything from Vienna when it isnt on sale, you are throwing money away, because everything Vienna sells is discounted several times during the course of the year. Buy the upgrade when it goes on sale.

By the way, Reaper has some of this functionality, however, there is talk of removing the Reamote code from Reaper.

Oh, and with regards to 'treating you with respect', that is a laugh. Nothing they have done here has been disrespectful. In fact, quite the contrary, they have announced a new version is coming and the pricing. They arent ready to announce features. They never made fun of your mother. They didnt insult you. They didnt accuse your father of smelling of elder berries. They simply announced a new version and pricing.

On the other hand, reading the comments in the thread here, the community has done the opposite. Paul has been blamed for this, and Im pretty sure the poor guy is merely the messenger. Someone in a smoke filled dusty room said, we have a new thing, go tell the masses. I dont think anyone at Vienna expected this kind of blowback. They have a new thing, they are excited about it. They underestimated the fact that people arent happy to pay money sight unseen. The guys in the smoke filled room clearly think this thing is awesome and worth the price of admission, however, they arent ready to spill the beans. Its really hard to get someone hyped about something if you cant tell them what to be hyped for. I only hope this is a lesson Vienna has learned, because especially when it comes to paid software upgrades that are pretty much required, no one is thrilled about them. Add the additional question of, is this a paid upgrade for the sake of Vienna trying to make money without providing anything in return and it tends to make people feel nickled and dimed.

I am not a fanboy for Vienna. The upgrade is a bit pricey, but it will go on sale. If you pay sticker price, you are a fool and no, your shit aint going to break before youve had ample time to purchase the upgrade when its already been on sale numerous times.

 

With all due respect, I wouldn´t know if you are a fanboy or not, but you are the only one who is speaking on behalf of Vienna for several days, presuming things that could not be true (vep6 and 7 coexisting, marketing decisions, etc), and trying to extrapolate your situation to the rest of us.

There hasn´t been any sort of official word for several days, the taiko offer deadline has come and gone, and it is complete silence here about all the questions we have rised.

Posted on Fri, Mar 01 2019 13:08
by musicman691
Joined on Sun, Nov 18 2012, NJ USA, Posts 131

Originally Posted by: pablo1980 Go to Quoted Post

With all due respect, I wouldn´t know if you are a fanboy or not, but you are the only one who is speaking on behalf of Vienna for several days, presuming things that could not be true (vep6 and 7 coexisting, marketing decisions, etc), and trying to extrapolate your situation to the rest of us.

There hasn´t been any sort of official word for several days, the taiko offer deadline has come and gone, and it is complete silence here about all the questions we have rised.

Littlewierdo is definitely  fanboi/apologist for Vienna. Worse than some of the others around here that can't understand why a number of us are mad at what Vienna's doing. And why we get little more than happy words from Paul.

 

At least let us know specifics of what is needed in the way of a computer setup like what operating system at a minimum, etc. At least NI with the announcement of Massive X (and it's being delayed) let's us know that you need an Intel processor with avx extensions which people using quite capable MacPro cheesegraters and some iMacs are left out of the loop. For some of us that allows us to budget/spend our money elsewheres without missing on a discount price.

Jack
PT 2019.6 on OSX 10.13.6
PT 11.3.2 on OSX 10.10.5
DP9.02 on OSX 10.13.6
Qapla!
Posted on Fri, Mar 01 2019 13:41
by labman
Joined on Tue, Sep 28 2010, Posts 111

Personally, we arent interested in the add-ons in the least. And we do need far more than one license here. ;) 

So we too, are 'concerned' but awaiting more details.

Posted on Fri, Mar 01 2019 15:18
by SazzSomewhere
Joined on Mon, Apr 06 2009, Posts 5

With all due respect this announcement was IMHO a bit weird.

It's not a simple upgrade (otherwise it would simply replace VEP6 and would be downward compatible). But hey - we can't tell you any details yet except our extended showcase and some existing fxs bundled. We are still testing. So none of your features are that stable that you can tell for sure that this feature is in?

But on the other hand we will be charging you a lot more than a regular update if you are actually using the former version to it's full extent.

So for more than a week tight lipped and no further details? Your original excuse was that you want to create appropriate videos to demonstrate these mysterious features - does take screencasts so long to produce?

Oh I forgot - get it till 28th February to receive a free Taiko Drum Kit. Seriously?

At least you get my personal reward for the most weirdest product announcement in 2019 (yes I know it's only March but this announcement is hard to top).

Posted on Fri, Mar 01 2019 15:41
by javajam
Joined on Sun, Mar 13 2005, Paris, France, Posts 150

Originally Posted by: SazzSomewhere Go to Quoted Post
At least you get my personal reward for the most weirdest product announcement in 2019 (yes I know it's only March but this announcement is hard to top).


You have my vote.

22 Pages«<7891011>»
You cannot post new threads in this forum.
You cannot reply to threads in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.