Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
Expired link
Last post Sun, Apr 24 2022 by Acclarion, 5 replies.
Options
Go to last post
Posted on Fri, Apr 22 2022 15:51
by Acclarion
Joined on Sat, Aug 15 2015, Canada, Eh!, Posts 592
Expired link
Posted on Fri, Apr 22 2022 22:45
by Jerry Gerber
Joined on Thu, Jan 19 2006, San Francisco, CA USA, Posts 398

Originally Posted by: Acclarion Go to Quoted Post

I'm pleased to share a preview of my new commissioned string quartet, Apotheosis.  

String Quartet 3 Apotheosis by David Carovillano Preview - YouTube

Cheers!

Dave

Dave, this is really nice, I love the energy and momentum and the contrapuntal detail.   I gotta ask, Is this VSL solo strings or live players?   Sounds live to me.  Is this a short movement or just an excerpt?   Glad to hear you received a commission to write it..   Always helps.  Looking forward to hearing the whole piece.

Best,

Jerry

Posted on Sat, Apr 23 2022 14:01
by Acclarion
Joined on Sat, Aug 15 2015, Canada, Eh!, Posts 592
Thanks, Jerry. It is VSL solo strings. Even though it will be played live, I wanted to do a virtual instrument performance. These were short excerpts from various sections of the four movements. Yes, commissions are nice, although managing stakeholder interests (arts organizations, concert presenters, ensembles, and ultimately audiences) can detract from the pure joy of writing. A concert bassoonist I toured with years ago remarked, "when we finally get to sit down and make music, all the b.s. that preceeded it, is erased."

Cheers!
Dave

Originally Posted by: Jerry Gerber Go to Quoted Post

Dave, this is really nice, I love the energy and momentum and the contrapuntal detail. I gotta ask, Is this VSL solo strings or live players? Sounds live to me. Is this a short movement or just an excerpt? Glad to hear you received a commission to write it.. Always helps. Looking forward to hearing the whole piece.
Best,
Jerry


Posted on Sun, Apr 24 2022 04:10
by Jerry Gerber
Joined on Thu, Jan 19 2006, San Francisco, CA USA, Posts 398

Originally Posted by: Acclarion Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, Jerry. It is VSL solo strings. Even though it will be played live, I wanted to do a virtual instrument performance. These were short excerpts from various sections of the four movements. Yes, commissions are nice, although managing stakeholder interests (arts organizations, concert presenters, ensembles, and ultimately audiences) can detract from the pure joy of writing. A concert bassoonist I toured with years ago remarked, "when we finally get to sit down and make music, all the b.s. that preceeded it, is erased." Cheers! Dave
Originally Posted by: Jerry Gerber Go to Quoted Post
Dave, this is really nice, I love the energy and momentum and the contrapuntal detail. I gotta ask, Is this VSL solo strings or live players? Sounds live to me. Is this a short movement or just an excerpt? Glad to hear you received a commission to write it.. Always helps. Looking forward to hearing the whole piece. Best, Jerry

Amazing how good you've made the solo strings sound.  You've inspired me to write a string quartet using the VSL solo strings.  I've used them in pieces many times, but not as a quartet.  I'm 2 minutes into the 1st movement of a new symphony and when I am done I want to write for the VSL solo strings.   It will be interesting to compare your virtual version with the live performance recording.  

No matter how we choose to make music, there's always non-musical stuff to attend to.  If it's not meetings with people or promotion or marketing it's managing a studio and keeping everything working right.  We're just damn fortunate we can even do what we do, I can barely imagine what it must be like to be living in Ukraine right now.  Those poor souls make our problems look pretty frivolous. 

Best,

Jerry

Posted on Sun, Apr 24 2022 22:40
by Acclarion
Joined on Sat, Aug 15 2015, Canada, Eh!, Posts 592
Thanks again, Jerry. I'm sure you'll create quite an impressive work with the solo strings after your newest symphony is completed. Enjoy the process, and the rewarding final product!

You're spot on about the struggles facing Ukrainians and so many others, which is why I am always grateful for the privileges and opportunities I've had to live a safe, comfortable life.

Take care,
Dave

Originally Posted by: Jerry Gerber Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Acclarion Go to Quoted Post

Amazing how good you've made the solo strings sound. You've inspired me to write a string quartet using the VSL solo strings. I've used them in pieces many times, but not as a quartet. I'm 2 minutes into the 1st movement of a new symphony and when I am done I want to write for the VSL solo strings. It will be interesting to compare your virtual version with the live performance recording.
No matter how we choose to make music, there's always non-musical stuff to attend to. If it's not meetings with people or promotion or marketing it's managing a studio and keeping everything working right. We're just damn fortunate we can even do what we do, I can barely imagine what it must be like to be living in Ukraine right now. Those poor souls make our problems look pretty frivolous.
Best,
Jerry


You cannot post new threads in this forum.
You cannot reply to threads in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.