Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
MIR instruments off-stage
Last post Mon, Mar 30 2015 by kenneth.newby, 6 replies.
Options
Go to last post
Posted on Sat, Mar 28 2015 22:07
by Mike Coffin
Joined on Fri, Jan 09 2015, Posts 18

It would be really nice if there were some indication in the mixer view when an instrument is placed off-stage in MIR Pro. I changed from a larger stage to a smaller one, and only some time later noticed that the timpani had disappeared. I spent an embarrassingly long time debugging my Sibelius setup, etc., before noticing that it had fallen off the back of the stage :-) 

Posted on Sun, Mar 29 2015 02:00
by kenneth.newby
Joined on Wed, Mar 19 2014, Posts 113

A new sample for each instrument.  The sound of it crashing off the stage?  Quite dramatic for the timps! ;-)

Seriously though, I've had the same experience more than once.  You can quickly pull it back using the position sliders in the MIR interface, but it would nice if they didn't visually disappear.  

Posted on Sun, Mar 29 2015 11:08
by Dietz
Joined on Tue, Aug 06 2002, Vienna / Europe, Posts 7290

Originally Posted by: Mike Coffin Go to Quoted Post

It would be really nice if there were some indication in the mixer view when an instrument is placed off-stage in MIR Pro. I changed from a larger stage to a smaller one, and only some time later noticed that the timpani had disappeared. I spent an embarrassingly long time debugging my Sibelius setup, etc., before noticing that it had fallen off the back of the stage :-) 

Welcome to the forum, Mike, and thanks for your suggestion.

In principle, this sounds like a good idea.. Actually MIR Pro's Venue Map should inform you already about an Icon residing outside the usable areas by displying it greyed-out. But I agree that we could add some additional information into the Instrument List on the left. I'll put it on the list of feature requests.

I would like to avoid anything that is displayed in VE Pro's Mixer only, though, as it isn't available when using MIR Pro as a plug-in in another host.

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
Posted on Sun, Mar 29 2015 11:11
by Dietz
Joined on Tue, Aug 06 2002, Vienna / Europe, Posts 7290

Originally Posted by: kenneth.newby Go to Quoted Post

A new sample for each instrument.  The sound of it crashing off the stage?  Quite dramatic for the timps! ;-)

I like that idea! ;-D

Originally Posted by: kenneth.newby Go to Quoted Post

Seriously though, I've had the same experience more than once.  You can quickly pull it back using the position sliders in the MIR interface, but it would nice if they didn't visually disappear.  

Like I wrote above, Icons sitting outside tha actual HotSpot-area are greyed-out, but they should be visible nonetheless. Could it be that the instrument's Icon was (visually) hidden, too?

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
Posted on Sun, Mar 29 2015 21:18
by Mike Coffin
Joined on Fri, Jan 09 2015, Posts 18

It was visible. I just didn't notice it.

I can see why you want to avoid coupling between the mixer and MIR; it makes sense. I'll know to look next time.

Posted on Mon, Mar 30 2015 02:08
by kenneth.newby
Joined on Wed, Mar 19 2014, Posts 113

It's obviously time for a visit to my optometrist for new glasses.  I often have trouble seeing these things.  

I think I sometimes have the venue zoomed in too much and any off-stage instrument is simply not in the visible area.

You cannot post new threads in this forum.
You cannot reply to threads in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.